Project Controls Team Leader
Atkins isn’t like other consultancies. Because of our wider, real-world expertise – delivering transformative programmes and projects to make strategy happen across public and private sectors. We know how to implement change in practice, not just on paper and we’re there to see change through from start to finish, whatever challenges arise.
Our wide-ranging clients include central government, security and intelligence, defence, airports, universities and infrastructure. Our team members come from diverse backgrounds that cover the spectrum of services giving them an innovative and creative approach that is key to its success. Everyone in the team is passionate about their work and the value that they can deliver.
Atkins set high standards of integrity and ethics for our people. When joining us, you benefit from a working environment that prioritises integrity and we also expect everyone who joins us to display these characteristics.
We are seeking a Project Controls Office (PCO) Lead, based in Bristol, to manage a team providing a variety of bid, project and business support services to internal Aerospace, Defence, Security & Technology division (ADS&T) managers and project managers.
The current team is around 11 strong, based across 5 locations and looking to grow to meet expanding customer requirements. Current and potential customers of the team’s services include: bid managers, internal project managers, markets, practices and central operations. Services typically relate to internal Atkins tools and processes such as: EA, PSRs, Cost Models, invoicing, JDE, CRM, BMS, i-Gate). The team’s services provided include: operating the tools (on behalf of customers), advising on tool usage, reporting on tool compliance, providing MI/advice based on tool content, tool administration advice,
The role will involve managing a team of PCOs and developing the longer-term strategy for the team to support stakeholders across ADS&T markets, practices and central functions.
The role can be summarised into two key areas:
Leading the Team and Managing Day-to-Day Operation
Day to day management of team members, including overseeing appropriate training and development
Overseeing high quality delivery of services to customers
Stakeholder engagement to understand, advise on and agree requirements
Day-to-day tasking of individual team members
Active management of the balance of overall team productivity (eg delivery versus training/development)
Defining and maintaining Key PCO team processes including: requirements capture; requirement prioritisation and tasking; onboarding/induction; ongoing upskilling of team members;
Escalation point for resolving customer issues
Owner of ADS&T register of points of contact for best practice in relation to key tools and processes
Setting and Implementing Future Team Strategy
Evolving the definition of PCO scope captured via the Service Catalogue to reflect future requirement priorities (eg provision of a monthly PCO MI pack for markets and practices)
Longer term team capacity planning based on demand signals from the business, including:
Training and development of current members;
Potential increase in team size
- Lead the PCO Team
- Ensure that the Atkins processes are implemented effectively within the team, from bidding and project set up, through to project execution and closure
- Ensure that the resources assigned to tasks are appropriate
- Work closely with Practice/Resource Managers to respond to business demand signals
- Understanding the customer requirements for the PCO team and negotiating and providing the appropriate services
- Ensure the relevant Atkins tools are implemented effectively (e.g. EA, PSRs, JDE, CRM)
- Provide advice & guidance to the team on all tools and processes in the Service Catalogue
- Ensure use of standardised common processes across bids, projects and management reporting
- Work collaboratively with practice, markets and other stakeholders (e.g. finance) to create and embed consistent ways of working in the delivery of ADS&T projects
- Responsible for compliance monitoring and improvement for deliver work activities including Stage Gate completion and Enterprise Advantage completion.
- Strong team leadership and team management track record (either within or outside Atkins)
- Strong communication skills at all levels; both written and verbal
- Strong Stakeholder management skills, ability to interface and negotiate with a wide range of stakeholders at all levelsMobility across Atkins offices to be able to provide face-to-face team leadership
- Strong understanding of project/programme management
- Knowledge of commercial / procurement processes including different commercial models
- Proven interpersonal skills
- Proactive in nature
- Strong organisational skills
- A driven individual capable of motivating staff to meet deadlines
- APMP certified (or equivalent)
- Held Atkins Project Manager or Project Director positions
- Good understanding of Atkins business process (E.g. BMS, Project Management Framework, EA, CRM, PSR’s, JDE)
- Good understanding of the ADS&T Practice and Market Organisation
Why work for Atkins?
Today we’re a core part of SNC-Lavalin, and we’re offering employees all the benefits you’d expect from a strong global company with enhanced scale, capabilities expertise and more. You will be in a trusted, supported position, where you are able to apply both existing skills and develop new skills in complex and challenging situations. You will be able to share your knowledge and experience and learn from others within the team and you will have opportunities to become a mature, established and multi-skilled professional.
Rewards and benefits
Atkins recognises the importance of helping its employees manage their work and home life by offering flexible working arrangements that enable them to balance their working life with parental and other caring responsibilities. For full details of our flexible working scheme and benefits package, please refer to our website.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Our Latest Articles