Project Engineer - Highways
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our team in Austin, TX as a Project Engineer - Highways supporting CTRMA toll agency and county projects.
The ideal candidate will have some exposure to roadway and facilities infrastructure. A broad base of skills, and capability in engineering and communicating is desired, as well as the willingness to be a team player.
Under supervision, applies technical professional proficiency to the investigation of engineering problems, the coordination of project activities, and the preparation of preliminary plans, documents and various project deliverables. On design assignments, progresses toward learning how to clearly convey the design intent through engineering drawings and specifications. On engineering and planning assignments, continues to develop a knowledge of the fundamentals of engineering processes and to apply them successfully to operating systems. On construction assignments, continues to develop an understanding of construction methods and the translation of engineering plans and specifications into constructed product. Upholds engineering ethics and standards of conduct.
- Performs work which involves conventional types of plans, investigations, surveys, structures or equipment, to carry out diversified engineering projects or phases of a single project with relatively few complex features and requiring the use of analysis, interpretation, and deductive reasoning.
- Designs and develops plans and drawings, which may include the development of preliminary layout and/or final drawings.
- Organizes and conducts engineering investigations and planning work which have a well-defined scope. Outlines and prepares relatively straightforward reports of sections of more complex reports, working under the periodic review of a more experienced professional.
- Provides engineering services during construction activities by reviewing shop drawings for conformance with specifications; prepares records and progress reports defining construction progress; observes construction procedures under the guidance of a more experienced professional and evaluates the results from quality control testing.
- Researches feasibility of alternative design approaches, site conditions, and regulatory agency specifications.
- Contributes to the development of specifications and permit applications, and writes miscellaneous reports. Prepares preliminary labor man-hour, cost and material quantity estimates.
- Participates in quality control checks, maintaining quality standards in all work produced, checking computations, and/or reviewing designs and drawings performed by others. Coordinates with other disciplines as required.
- Performs field observations of construction where appropriate.
- Performs such other duties as the supervisor may from time to time deem necessary.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- B.S. or M.S. in Engineering.
- This level may be achieved by Engineers with 2 years' experience since B.S. or 1 year since M.S.
- The typical incumbent has 3 to 5 years' experience since Bachelor's degree.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills required.
- Ability to assemble and analyze data.
- Strong analytical ability and organizational skills is a plus.
- Strong personal computer skills are required.
- MicroStation and CAD skills preferred.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office products, including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Visio and Project.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel and Macro experience is preferred.
- E.I. or EIT is usually required.
- Ability to deal effectively and harmoniously with people at all levels of the organization and to represent the firm professionally. Good interpersonal skills are essential to interact effectively.
- Ability to process paper/electronic documents and utilize computer equipment.
- Ability to visit project sites if necessary.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Our Latest Articles