Project HSE Manager
Project HSE Manager
Project HSE Manager
Atkins’ UK Transportation business brings together the capabilities of our Rail, Highway and Local Transport teams, into a single business of 3,000 talented engineering professionals transport planners and consultants. The unique breadth of services in Transportation, combined with our scale, makes Atkins the leading UK transportation infrastructure consultancy. We create a culture and environment to inspire our people, ensure collaboration with our clients and continue to shape the future of mobility.
- To have a visible presence on site and encourage good behaviours
- To inform management of any issues or areas for improvement on the project that need to be escalated within a timely manner
- To carry out site inspections and proactively consider future requirements working closely with the project and construction teams.
- To support project staff in identifying and reporting of behavioural issues that could have an impact on the project or their safety.
- To provide day to day support, advice and management to Project discipline management and personnel.
- To implement and brief out changes in project processes, particularly in relation to legislative, regulatory and client requirements.
- To support initiatives and review performance within projects and attend Project QSSE/Construction meetings
- To carry out audits and site inspections to ensure compliance to Network Rail, Company standards and Health & Safety legislation, across the disciplines of Health, Safety, Quality and Environmental Management
- Maintain a high level and professional standard of knowledge and communication
- To understand and ensure project teams and contractors are working under the Construction, Design and Management (CDM) regulations.
- To attend the project and/or construction QSSE Meetings with the client, principal contractor and our sub-contractors to ensure they are aware of future work activity so that risks can be identified and safety control measures arranged.
- To implement and maintain the content of the specific site project induction and safety briefings.
- Production of QSSE Reports as required by the project and QSSE Practice Director
- To carry out effective and timely investigation and reporting of Accidents/Incidents/Close Calls and any key concerns.
- To plan and conduct effective QSSE audits, both internal and external, to ensure compliance with Project/Company policies, strategies and procedures.
- To be able to communicate an extensive knowledge of ISO9001, ISO14001 and OHSAS18001.
- To support the development and monitoring of QSSE Management systems.
- To support the training of staff and employees in the use of procedures and improvement techniques.
- Provide on-site coordination of the Safety, Quality and Environmental management systems and to provide advice, support and guidance to the Project Management team.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
- Read, understand and implement the QSSE Policy, organisation and arrangements.
- Be aware of legislation, codes of practice, guidance notes and safe working practices relevant to the work activities.
- Report to the QSSE Practice Director regularly and highlight any key HQSE issues on our projects.
- Agree, advise or determine for others, safe and environmentally sound methods of working and systems which identify hazards at each place of work within their responsibility.
- Give staff and contractors within their projects/business, clear instructions as to their responsibilities to ensure that correct working methods where risk of physical harm or environmental damage exists.
- Inform of any QSSE training needs to the project management team
- Make arrangements for safety induction training for all new starters at the workplace under their control.
- Act immediately on any breach of the QSSE Rules, unsafe situation or potential threat to the Environment which comes to their attention.
- Assist management in the implementation of the company disciplinary procedure in relation to breaches of QSSE Procedure, policy or practice.
- Monitor the effectiveness of the QSSE Policy, its arrangements or rules and, where inadequacies are identified, ensure that appropriate action is identified.
Qualifications and Experience
- NEBOSH Diploma (desirable)
- NEBOSH Certificate (mandatory – construction desirable)
- Chartered membership of IOSH (desirable)
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
- Extensive knowledge of ISO9001, ISO14001 and OHSAS18001.
- Experience of the development and monitoring of QSE Management systems.
- Hold a formal Environmental qualification such as IEMA Certificate (desirable).
- Must have previous Railway and Construction Industry experience.
- Capable of identifying QSE Improvement opportunities.
- Awareness of behavioural safety programmes (desirable)
- Experience of investigation techniques.
Quality, Safety and Environmental Information Communication
Atkins Transportation provides a fully comprehensive legislation, quality, safety and environmental standards information service via its electronic Intranet facility available to all staff.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
If you work “On or Near the Line” you are issued with high visibility clothing, safety footwear and a hard hat. Other PPE will be issued to enable compliance with control measures detailed in risk assessment of the task(s) to be performed. It is your responsibility to wear or use PPE appropriate to the task being performed and to check that it is fit for purpose prior to each use.
Safety Critical Work
All project QSSE Managers will need to understand the Safety Critical roles and requirements and need to obtain ICI Industry Common Induction and hold Permit to Track Safety (PTS).
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment.
We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs