We are seeking an energetic and proficient Project Manager. This individual will manage the delivery of a variety design packages on large schemes and small to medium projects in their own right. With the support of our Rail Engineering Project Management Team you will be expected to both take a lead in the bid process as a bid manager for small to medium complexity and size projects and also be responsible for delivering your live projects to scope, budget and programme. You will also be the main point of contact with both our internal teams and our external clients for these projects.
The Atkins Rail Engineering Practice undertakes all aspects of Track design, OLE design, HV Electrical Power Distribution & Traction design, and LV M&E design in the rail environment. This includes survey, optioneering, outline and detailed design drawings and calculations, technical specifications and reports. The team also supports work across the Atkins Transportation business including; Civils & Structures and Signalling schemes. This role is based in Croydon.
• Management of multidiscipline engineering teams within a project context.
• Understand the contract
• Build effective working relationship with clients
• Meet cost and time targets to deliver high quality consultancy services to clients.
• Lead small and medium sized bids and support major bids
• Work Planning; definition of activities and programme. Development of robust estimates.
• Work Delivery; deliver to the programme and budget, communicate and adapt where necessary to manage and control the project through change - strong implementation of change control.
• Effective and timely commercial and risk management
• Ensuring compliance with CDM design risk assessments and health, safety and environmental requirements.
• Providing support to Senior PMs and Project Director’s.
• Developing and guiding Junior PMs and APMs
• Work closely with our Market Teams
• Providing a focal point for integration of other Atkins design teams.
• Ensuring compliance with Business Management, HSE and Quality procedures.
• Maintaining your knowledge of current design and regulatory standards
• Support the PM Team Leader in enhancing the PM Team’s capabilities and service.
Experience and Skills
• Experience of managing multidisciplinary design teams and projects
• Demonstrate having been fully responsible for budgets and programme
• Clear understanding and experience of implementing design procedures, change control, checking and review requirements
• Experience of engaging and motivating teams to prioritise and deliver tasks to time and budget
• Experience of proactive stakeholder management
• Experience in engineering consultancy, contractor led design, or client management of engineering and construction projects would be helpful but not essential. And therefore, applicants from other industries are welcome to apply.
• Demonstrate experience in similar roles.
• Have demonstrable ability to work to time and cost budgets.
• Be proactive and energetic
• Have excellent communications skills.
• Comfortable speaking with both senior leaders within the business and also senior leadership within our clients
• Possess willingness to work with clients and their project teams.
• Have good presentational skills.
• Have good report writing and reviewing skills.
• Have a reliable and responsible attitude, pay attention to detail and have a flexible approach to achieve the best outcomes.
• Demonstrate the ability to identify and input to activities in support of the wider business objectives that may draw upon skills in addition to those outlined above.
• Be keen to develop a career in multi-disciplinary development projects.
• Be a member, or on a defined pathway to being a member, of a recognised professional project management body. E.g. APM or Prince
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance
Our Latest Articles