Project Manager - Highway Engineering
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Ft. Myers, FL Team, as a Project Manager – Highway Engineering to manage County Roadway Projects.
Under direction, provides the expertise of a seasoned engineer to all conventional aspects of Roadway design and applies advanced concepts and techniques to unconventional engineering problems. May function as individual researcher or technical specialist. Upholds engineering ethics and standards of conduct.
The Project Manager shall function as an extension of the County's resources by providing qualified technical and professional personnel that perform duties and responsibilities assigned under the terms of the project.
Applies technical expertise and project management experience to manage project teams on Roadway County projects. Also performs the basic project functions of production coordination, planning, organizing, directing, controlling, financial management and marketing assistance.
The Project Manager will conduct duties related to roadway design and project management. The objectives of the Project Manager include providing oversight of multiple projects at various phases of development, including:
- Manage expectations and communicate project issues with COUNTY leadership, as needed.
- Maintain an organized project database to easily retrieve needed files.
- Coordinate review of project deliverables and ensure that quality control and assurance procedures are followed.
- Represent agency in the community and in front of political boards and community organizations.
- Support the County Capital Improvement Program (CIP) preparation process.
- Development of scope, staff hours, and schedule of project activities.
- Management of scope, budget, and schedule throughout the project.
- Oversight of miscellaneous sub-consultants.
- Organize and lead project meetings.
- Develop agenda.
- Organize content.
- Prepare presentations.
- Prepare meeting summaries.
- Investigate project issues and proactively develop solutions.
- Coordinate and manage changes in project approach as a project develops.
- Coordinate with key stakeholders throughout the project, including other agencies.
- Identify potential conflicts and devise plans to achieve resolution.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- B.S. or M.S. in Engineering. M.S. or graduate level technical coursework preferred.
- This level may be achieved by Engineers with seven years of experience since B.S. or 6 years since M.S.
- Typical incumbent has ten to fourteen years of experience.
- Proven technical writing and communication skills.
- P.E. license is required.
- Coordinates and participates in contract negotiations with clients and subcontractors, and drafts complex professional service agreements and addenda for review by senior management.
- Directs project team and client compliance with contract terms and monitors subcontractors' compliance with contractual commitments.
- Prepares project work plan, scope, schedule and budget, and communicates these to project team members; monitors/manages project production for compliance with schedule, budget and quality objectives.
- Monitors reports and schedules to ensure appropriate charging of man-hours, costs and expenses to projects, and to communicate project progress/status to senior management.
- Establishes and maintains project account files on the computerized project management information system, and periodically reviews project reports for accuracy and completeness.
- Monitors client billings; assists in obtaining payment from clients, and resolves client disputes, adjusting project billing records as required.
- Monitors sub-consultants' progress and performance, reviews and approves sub-consultant and vendor invoices, and resolves payment and project disputes.
- Schedules and coordinates project meetings with the project team, regulatory agencies, the client, and others involved with the projects.
- Reports financial status of projects to technical managers.
- Identifies new business opportunities for the firm, coordinates and participates in project presentations to clients and other external groups, and promotes firm's capabilities, marketing its services among existing and prospective clients.
- Participates in project opportunity evaluation, consultant selection, and the preparation of firm's qualification/experience statements.
- May supervise technical professionals, associate project managers and design staff including workload and staffing management.
- Performs such other duties as the supervisor may from time to time deem necessary.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Atkins will not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, headhunters, contract recruiters, search firms or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate, Atkins explicitly reserves the right to recruit and hire those candidate(s) at its discretion, and without any financial obligation whatsoever to the recruiter or agency. Any such unsolicited resume or candidate contact information, including those submitted directly to Atkins hiring managers or any other employee, shall become the property of Atkins upon receipt.
Our Latest Articles