Project Manager - Major Project Delivery
The Project Manager will be responsible for (but not limited to) the following activities:
- The successful delivery of the project to agreed targets, e.g. programme, budget and quality;
- Identifying and agreeing project objectivities with the Project Director and developing a strategy for achieving these;
- Identifying, escalating and managing any matters that could pose a potential contractual/commercial risk to Atkins to the Project Director (PD) at the earliest opportunity;
- Setting objectives, and defining tasks for the project team (including Inter Unit Task Orders), delegating authority and agreeing how risks will be shared (with PD) as necessary;
- Actively managing the project – both technically and financially, in accordance with corporate and business policies, directives, guidance and procedures. Whilst monitoring and reporting performance against programme, technical quality, financial and KPI targets; taking, or advising the PD on the requirements for, any necessary mitigation actions to prevent targets being missed, controlling change and managing effective change control process;
- Leading the project team – building, motivating, maintaining, coaching, guiding and developing the team; including providing regular feedback to all team members and ensuring staff have the necessary H&S training for discharging their design duties and defining line of communication and the responsibilities for co-ordination within the project;
- Facilitating communication, co-ordination and information flow with the Client and within the project team, including any subcontractors and partners (internal and external);
- With input from the Discipline Leads, agreeing commercial trading arrangements and communication plan for working with other teams, issuing Inter-Unit Task Orders to all internal teams and purchase orders to external teams, including Bangalore; agreeing resource levels, project personnel and milestones internally (with the project delivery team) and externally (with the Client and other project contributors) and establishing a ‘bottom up’ estimate of project costs;
- Assembling and owning the project delivery programme and delivery plans; providing project reports on a regular basis to convey cost and schedule information (monthly Board report, in a timely manner, as required internally or externally;
- Protecting the commercial interest of Atkins, including timely and accurate invoicing and effective credit control for optimal cash flow (with the support of the finance community); comparing revenue with predicted costs and identifying risk allowances, margin and provisions – at project set-up and monthly thereafter, including Earned Value reporting;
- Closing out the project on completion, archiving project documentation, updating market information, ensuring that lessons learnt are captured and disseminated internally and ensuring that a Client Satisfaction survey is initiated.
- Chartered Engineer/Architect or equivalent with demonstrable experience managing design commissions on large infrastructure projects
- Market sector experience across a range of Water Infrastructure, Rail, Aviation, Defence, Energy and Urban Development projects
- Excellent interpersonal, organisational and communication skills both verbal and written
- A hard working and flexible individual, who is a team player, possesses great attention to detail, is reliable, proactive and shows initiative whilst able to keep cool under pressure d when working to often demanding deadlines.
- Ability to manage and motivate a team and demonstrate good leadership qualities
- Understands and has experience in deploying various forms of construction contract, in particular NEC3
- Experienced at preparing Scope Definition papers, Project Execution Plans, Risk Registers, Change Control Logs and Client & Stakeholder Management plans
- Experience of managing design projects to time, cost and quality objectives and familiar with programming and earned value techniques
- Self motivated and able to work both independently and within a larger multi-discipline team
- Familiar with BIM and has an understanding of 3D modelling tools for design and coordination purposes and the associated Information attributes that can be assigned and managed within the Model.
- A high expectation of performance for themselves and other members of the team
- Customer focused with excellent client relationship management skills
- A supportive and encouraging approach to mentoring less experienced members of the team
- Ability to adapt to different cultures and working environments to build rapport with clients
- Be available to travel across the UK and work away from home, with potential periods overseas on assignments, when required
- Holds a valid UK driving licence
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.