Protection & Control Engineer
Working out of SNC-Lavalin's client office in Binghamton, NY you will be part of a team that works on designing, developing and delivering engineering including; system planning and studies, procurement and construction solutions for high voltage power transmission line and substation projects.
As a Protection and Control Engineer (P&C) in SNC-Lavalin's Engineering Department and reporting to the Director of Engineering Services, you are responsible for P&C design packages and associated engineering studies for our high voltage substation projects.
What will be your contribution?
- Prepare or validate and approve engineering for protection and control (P&C) system for HV (115 kV and above) and MV electric power substations.
- Prepare one-lines, three-lines, control schematics, interconnection and wiring diagrams, relay panel front views, and cable schedules.
- Perform engineering calculations/studies, and prepare system protection requirements design basis.
- Prepare scope of works and specifications for procurement and installation of P&C systems (with electromechanical or digital relays), relay panels, AC/DC systems, and A&I systems.
- Verify and validate equipment selection, bill of material, construction sequence and outage plan.
- Ensure conformity and completeness of P&C engineering packages to be issued for construction against project requirements and specifications while following good industry practices.
- Provide engineering support and solve queries during construction, testing and commissioning, attend site meetings and inspections.
- Follow and comply with Quality Management System and standard operating procedures.
- Work autonomously without direct supervision, in a multi-disciplinary stakeholders’ environment.
What we are looking for?
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering from a recognized institution.
- Minimum 7 years’ experience with proven track records in P&C design, preferably for electric utilities.
- P.E. licensed (or eligible for registration) preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of North American standards and codes, and industry practices required.
- Work experience or good knowledge SCADA, telecom, RTU/RTAC and SCADA interfaces required.
- Use of ASPEN and experience with relay logic diagrams, settings and testing is preferred.
- Excellent verbal, written communication skills required.