Public Information Specialist
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks and energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Austin, TX team as a Public Information Specialist.
The ideal candidate will have a background in communications, public relations, public speaking, and public involvement strategies and techniques.
*Note* Please submit a cover letter with your application.
Coordinates, plans, organizes, and directs public outreach efforts and programs for clients.
- Coordinates, plans, organizes and implements the public outreach efforts of major projects.
- Coordinates staff to ensure project office operates according to the contract with client.
- Develops and implements individual project Public Outreach Plans in coordination with the client.
- Identifies public outreach project goals and makes recommendations to the client of the best means to address the needs.
- Organizes/manages project information files and coordinates the interchange of project outreach information with the client and among project team members.
- Coordinates and participates in government briefings and project presentations to external groups.
- Coordinates and participates in stakeholder outreach and meetings.
- Assists in the coordination and planning of community events; participates in such events as needed.
- Assists public meeting organizers with meeting facilitation.
- Coordinates logistics for special events including public meetings and hearing, open houses, groundbreakings, ribbon cuttings, and project tours.
- Assists with the development of responses to issues and requests for information emanating from the public.
- Develops the content and coordinates the design and production of general public information materials, including: project publications, brochures, newsletters, web information, press releases, fact sheets, presentations, exhibit boards, maps, and materials;
- Meets with the client to determine key messages and themes.
- Ensure all communications align with agency priorities and brand guidelines.
- Serves as liaison between the project’s technical and public involvement teams.
- Supports graphic design efforts.
- Develops and implements strategic social media plans.
- Assists with website content management, statistical analysis and reporting, and management of monthly maintenance.
- Produces and distributes daily, weekly and monthly reports on public outreach efforts. May supervise the work of support staff, sub-consultants, and vendors.
- Performs such other duties determined necessary by the Supervisor.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, Journalism, English, or related field from an accredited four-year college or university.
- Three or more years of professional related experience involving public relations, public outreach and other related areas.
- Knowledge of public relations and public involvement techniques and strategies; knowledge of media relations strategies.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing. Exceptional writing and proofreading skills as well as strong verbal communication skills is required.
- Ability to understand and translate complex technical information into clear, concise and compelling messages tailored to the general public.
- Excellent problem-solving ability and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to make persuasive public presentations.
- Ability to listen and respond to citizens and other customers on a variety of issues.
- English/Spanish bilingual is desirable.
- Deadline-driven with the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to write and oversee the design of promotional and informational materials.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with, employees, managers, citizens, appointed and elected officials and the media.
- Ability to deal effectively and harmoniously with people at all levels of the organization and to represent the firm professionally. Good interpersonal skills are essential to interact effectively.
- Ability to work in a team environment and to work independently.
- Knowledge of transportation, construction and tolling is helpful
- Knowledge of the NEPA Process is helpful.
- Knowledge of AP style.
- Strong personal computer skills are required.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office products, including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (specifically, In-Design and Photoshop).
- None required.
- Travel might be necessary, including throughout Texas. If travel is required and no company vehicle is available, the use of a personal vehicle may be required.
- The incumbent must have a valid driver's license and a driving record that meets company policy. The vehicle must be in good working order and insured.
- Mileage reimbursement allowance will be available.
- Some work outside normal business hours may be required.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Atkins will not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, headhunters, contract recruiters, search firms or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate, Atkins explicitly reserves the right to recruit and hire those candidate(s) at its discretion, and without any financial obligation whatsoever to the recruiter or agency. Any such unsolicited resume or candidate contact information, including those submitted directly to Atkins hiring managers or any other employee, shall become the property of Atkins upon receipt.
Our Latest Articles