Rail Assurance Engineer (Senior/Principal)
Effective assurance and safety management is fundamental to a safe and reliable railway. We support rail businesses and organisations (large and small) around the world with a full suite of assurance services from strategic advice and guidance, to the performance of detailed assessments that meet regulatory needs. Our services cover all parts of the railway system, their operation, maintenance and management.
With an increasing number of projects for new-build and modified rolling stock, infrastructure changes, electrification schemes and signalling upgrades the rail industry’s future is increasingly strong. All these projects are required to implement comprehensive assurance processes to achieve regulatory approval, or to gain the acceptance of asset owners and operators. SNC-Lavalin Atkins' Assurance Service Area is a leader in the provision of these assurance (certification, safety, compliance) services.
To support our continued and sustained expansion we are seeking a flexible and adaptable individual who is keen to lead the delivery of certification, safety and other assurance services.
This is an ideal opportunity for an individual who is looking to develop their career in an organisation that provides wide-ranging opportunities across the rail industry.
The successful candidate will lead delivery of assurance assignments, liaising between discipline specialist technical assessors and the client to achieve an appropriate and justifiable level of assurance, providing advice and guidance on the application of standards, and UK / European law for rail assurance.
The requirements of the role are such that it suits engineers who have a good eye for detail whilst maintaining a pragmatic system-wide overview.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
- Understand clients’ requirements and how they fit into the wider assurance regime
- Manage the delivery of assignments from start to finish
- Manage the expectations of client and other affected parties
- Manage work packages being undertaken by other internal specialist teams
- Undertaken all work in accordance with SNC-Lavalin’s procedures
- Plan, monitor and report progress in client meetings and through formal documents
- Maintain excellent communications with the client, and ensuring that the client is satisfied with our services
Required Experience & Skills:
You will have an engineering or technical degree and the ability to critically assess projects and situations, manage conflict and find new approaches to solve complex problems, and communicate outcomes in clear and concise text. You will have a “system-wide” approach to issues and demonstrable understanding of the impact of changes to their wider environment. It is preferred that you have a knowledge in one or more railway/tramway systems, e.g. rolling stock, infrastructure, signalling in either a technical engineering or operations capacity.
Any experience in any of the following areas is considered greatly advantageous;
- The provision of Notified Body, Designated Body, Assessment Body, Independent Safety Assessment or other independent review;
- Application of the common safety method for risk evaluation and assessment;
- RAMS processes and other recognised safety risk assessment methodologies (e.g. EN50126/28/29 and IEC61508);
- Conducting thorough risk assessments and/or failure analysis in a highly regulated industry.
We offer a professional but nurturing environment for you to better develop in your career whilst exposing you to a wide variety of transport projects. We also offer competitive salaries, personal and company performance related bonus schemes, 33 days annual leave (including Bank Holidays), private medical and dental insurance, gym membership subsidies, flexible working hours and a host of other benefits supporting a range of lifestyles.