Regional Health, Safety & Environment (HSE) Advisor
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Atkins is a part of the SNC Lavalin Group, we work largely across the transport, infrastructure, energy, aerospace and defence sectors. We’re involved in the delivery of major projects such as Hinkley Point, HS2 and the Heathrow Airport expansion, our combined group now has approximately 50,000 employees around the world and both Atkins and SNC-Ls offerings enable us the opportunity to continue our growth.
- Providing Health, Safety & Environmental advice and training for office based employees with a focus on design consultancy
- Maintaining a clear understanding of legal obligations, relevant industry standards and Health & Safety Executive best practice and communicating changes to the business
- Regular engagement including visits to offices within the region to support Regional Management and lead the network of Health, Safety and Environment representatives, to facilitate participation and consultation
- Conducting legal compliance audits of office premises; additional audit responsibilities in relation to risk management with periodic site-based audits/inspections
- Contributing to the continual improvement of an effective audit system for health, safety and environment, relevant to the activities of a design consultancy
- Collation, review and reporting on trends identified during the internal audit programme
- Providing support and guidance on compliance with the requirements of ISO45001 and 14001
- Supporting the businesses in complying with Global Health, Safety & Environment Management System
- Providing guidance and support on management systems, policies and procedures, and supporting on these topics in external audit (e.g. certification)
- Developing, coordinating and contributing to corporate Health, Safety & Environment improvement programmes
- Supporting regional offices with Environmental initiatives such as waste and energy reduction, social value and community engagement
- Providing ad-hoc support for corporate Health, Safety & Environment management led incident investigations
- Occasional support may be required for mainland Europe
- Competence in site risk management and maintaining risk controls to a legally compliant standard; experience in developing risk management systems would be desirable
- Ability to work autonomously and as a member of the team as required
- Technical knowledge of Health, Safety and Environment disciplines with desired minimum qualifications in:
- Lead Auditor (45001 / 14001 desirable but not essential)
- NEBOSH National General Certificate or equivalent qualification
- IEMA foundation certificate in Environmental Management
- Membership of relevant professional body such as IOSH, IIRSM & IEMA
- Incident investigation
- Experience in the development and delivery of corporate Health, Safety & Environment training and presentations
- Identifying and managing Environmental risk & opportunities
In additional the successful candidate will be able to:
- Influence management teams and positively challenge others through effective communication skills
- Manage their own time and workload effectively
- Prioritise personal workload to ensure suitable support for their geographical region
- Lead and support teams in the delivery of corporate Health, Safety and Environment related projects
- Identify good practice and promote recognition across the UK & Europe region
- Engage with the wider HSE community to build effective relationships, share best practice and support corporate initiatives
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Rewards and benefits
Atkins offers a fantastic range of benefits, which you can tailor to suit your own health, wellbeing, financial and lifestyle choices.
All the information you need to know is available on our dedicated benefits portal; your reward, which is available to access 24/7 from any device: https://www.yourrewardatkins.com
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.