Safeguards and Security Specialist
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins Nuclear is currently seeking a Safeguards & Security Specialist to join the nuclear team in Oak Ridge, TN.
Serves as a subject matter expert for personnel security process; interfaces with customers and regulators regarding personnel security clearance matters. Provides direction to business groups regarding requirements for obtaining, maintaining and terminating personnel security clearances. Develops and/or maintains databases to track security clearance activities and training requirements. Ensures all security procedures are up to date, revising them as required. Provides preliminary vetting of personnel submitted for security clearance activities, providing guidance to the employees as they go through this process. Provides additional support in other areas of security as identified by management.
- Assists site/facility management with developing security objectives in accordance with regulatory directives.
- Interfaces with employees and regulators (DOE, DOD, and NRC) to facilitate security screenings for Security Clearances.
- Develops and implements procedural and administrative controls to conduct background investigations and adjudicate results.
- Assists in the development and administration of security programs, procedures, and systems, for classified or proprietary materials and documents.
- Ensures the implementation of policies, standards, procedures and DOE orders.
- Maintains all security records/files in accordance with regulatory requirements.
- Assists in conducting self-assessments of site facilities safeguard and security programs when requested to determine degree of site or facility compliance with program.
- Assists with the preparation of and participates in site assessments and audits as required.
- Provides reports as directed.
- Works under limited supervision.
- May guide the work of security specialist 1.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Advanced computer skills with working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite; in particular Word, Excel, and Power Point
- Strong communication skills
- Intermediate writing skills
- Working knowledge of government (DOE/DOD/NRC) procedures or regulations
- Strong interpersonal and team working skills
- Ability to demonstrate understanding of security principles and concepts normally acquired through a bachelors degree or six to ten (6-10) years (or more) of progressive security experience
- Familiar with security activities and terminology
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to resolve complex problems in a timely manner
- Ability to be proactive and self-motivated, capable of appreciating and acting in the organization’s best interests
- Ability to deliver information to groups; provide training as needed
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- High School diploma or GED
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- Capable of obtaining and maintaining a DOE ‘Q’ clearance
- Valid driver’s license
- Previous training or security experience preferred
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Atkins will not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, headhunters, contract recruiters, search firms or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate, Atkins explicitly reserves the right to recruit and hire those candidate(s) at its discretion, and without any financial obligation whatsoever to the recruiter or agency. Any such unsolicited resume or candidate contact information, including those submitted directly to Atkins hiring managers or any other employee, shall become the property of Atkins upon receipt.
Our Latest Articles