Safety Critical Software Consultant
Safety Critical Software Consultant
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
The Atkins Critical Digital Systems team provides leading-edge consultancy and research into novel safety and security critical digital systems. Due to increased long-term demand from clients across multiple sectors including Aerospace, Nuclear Power, Rail, Defence and Automotive we are looking for highly motivated and aspirational individuals to join our rapidly expanding team.
Atkins as a technical consultancy is looking for ambitious engineers, mathematicians and scientists who are looking to expand their experience and develop a career working on novel and flagship programmes.
The role is to provide consultancy to Atkins’ clients, who will be responsible for systems having a significant programmable element, that are used in a safety or security critical context. Atkins provides a service to our clients to provide advice on how to develop and verify such systems to ensure that they meet engineering standards and regulatory requirements. The successful candidate will:
- Provide consultancy to clients on how to develop, procure and manage safety and security critical software
- Supervise and undertake development, assurance, verification and testing of software used in safety-critical systems.
- Perform technical audit of suppliers’ software development processes
- Research and evaluate new tools and techniques for safety and security related software
- Develop papers and present at conferences
- Manage staff and/or projects
Experience and Skills
To support our clients’ varied needs and our broad pipeline of work, we are also very interested in hearing from candidates who have:
- Knowledge of design, development and test of real-time, embedded software critical systems.
- Experience of applying standards used in safety- or mission-critical industries such as IEC 61508, IEC 50128, DEF-STAN 00-55 and 00-56, DO-178C, IEC 62061, ARP4754, IEC 61513 and IEC 61226
- Experience of developing and / or assuring Software, Programmable Logic Devices (PLD) and Complex Electronic Hardware (CEH) Systems
For senior roles we are especially interested in hearing from candidates that have demonstrable:
- Experience of providing independent advice, support and guidance in an Aerospace, Rail, Nuclear, Medical or other safety critical environment
- Experience of developing pragmatic and novel solutions to complex problems, with an ability to think “outside of the box” where required
The successful candidate will:
- have strong problem solving skills;
- be able to contribute to all elements of the project lifecycle;
- have excellent communication skills in the English language, both written and verbal, and with colleagues and clients;
- be able to work effectively both individually, and as part of a team;
- have a strong work ethic and level of professionalism;
- be organised and be able to think creatively.
Candidates will ideally be degree qualified (min 2:1) or equivalent in a numerate discipline with a significant software engineering element.
Some work outside normal office hours may be necessary. Travel to and from client sites and/or temporary secondment to client’s offices may also be required. Secondments to other Atkins or SNC-Lavalin offices in the UK or overseas may be available.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs