Security Consultant - Blast
The Security business is part of the Infrastructure Division of Atkins. The business operates across all sectors and markets providing security consultancy across a wide range of specialisms from counter-terrorism through physical and electronic security designs to strategy and master planning in the built environment. The Security business plays a pivotal role in differentiating on Atkins major projects and has established itself as a professional offering in the market place amongst private and public sectors.
Atkins is a truly global organisation and our strategy means much of our multi-disciplinary work spans various regions around the world. We especially welcome applications from those who are able to travel and spend extended periods of time abroad.
The candidate may have to work from the clients’ office in the UK or abroad and could be expected to be seconded in to the client’s organisation. The candidate will therefore be expected to be able to work independently with minimal guidance.
Due to the nature of our work a high level of technical understanding will be required.
We work across the majority of markets developing innovative solutions to help our clients realise their vision in a safe and secure environment. Our services cover:
- Threat and risk analysis
- Security risk management
- All design stages for all security functions
- Security operations and procedures
- Strategies, schemes and Master-planning
- Counter-terrorism and protective security
- Physical security
- Electronic security systems
- Explosive blast and weapons effects on structures
- Continuity and resilience for security threats
- Concept of Security Operations
- Security training
We pride ourselves on our high standards and the commitment with which we engage with our clients to help them find approaches to solving their challenging and complex problems. Our projects are founded on proven security analysis and sound engineering / technical capability.
- Will be expected to take roles in client project delivery assignments creating sketches, drawings and specifications for Hostile Vehicle Mitigation, glazing, cladding, barriers and other hardened measures.
- Responsible for commercial management of client assignments which would include costing, comparison, feasibility, and life cycle of design specification
- Will provide the technical consulting services for the entire life cycle of the projects
- Responsible for client relationships during projects.
- Responsible for developing effective approaches to client requirements, calling for originality and ingenuity in devising recommendations through both existing and new ways of working, design and implementation.
- Will assist the team lead in business development internal and external to Atkins to further develop the security business.
- Graduate level education or equivalent in a technical discipline (e.g. engineering or sciences) or a security related discipline.
- Must have an understanding and design experience of security throughout the full design lifecycle and be able to work to RIBA stages.
- A basic technical understanding of electronic security systems.
- Must have experience in undertaking security threat and risk assessment and security site surveys.
- Must be able to produce ConOps and also Operational Requirements for physical measures to various levels of detail.
- Experience in designing out crime using CPTED and SBD principles and also have experience in CTM design.
- Must have experience in designing and specifying HVM schemes and measures.
- Must have a working knowledge about blast effects and blast and ballistic mitigation.
- Must understand the design of glazing systems and retention.
- Must have experience and working knowledge of building hardening and protective measures.
- The ability to implement security best practice according to various standards e.g. CPNI, CAST, Police, LPCB 1175.
- Must have experience in a consultancy type role involving requirements capture, stakeholder management, client briefings, presentations, project management and report writing.
- Will have experience in security design integration and assurance of installed security measures.
- Understanding of (enterprise) risk management principles.
- Good presentation skills.
- Bid preparation and business development.
- Ability to work in a fast paced and demanding environment with tight deadlines.
- An MSc in a security related discipline.
- Membership of a recognised security or professional organisation e.g. IET, RSES, ASIS, SyI and also demonstrate Continuing Professional Development in the field of security.
- A good understanding of relevant software such as AutoCAD, MS Project, specialist blast software etc.
- A good understanding of security policies, procedures and operations.