Senior Bid Manager
Senior Bid Manager
We’re looking for talent; that special combination of skills and experience that make for a good Senior Bid Manager. We need the planner & project manager, communicator, analyst, and completer finisher with an eye for detail along with the ability to take on some line management responsibilities.
This doesn’t mean to say we don’t want people who can ‘think outside the box’. Being creative and diverse in our thinking is part of what gives us the competitive edge, and our bid managers are at the heart of creating new value propositions for our growing client base.
This position is in the Aerospace, Defence, Security & Technology (ADS&T) division of SNC Lavalin’s Atkins business of Engineering, Design & Project Management. As a member of ADS&T’s core Business Development team you will be responsible for managing bids identified as strategically important through the win-work lifecycle and successfully on to contract with our clients.
We are looking to appoint an experienced and motivated individual, to be based in Bristol. The individual may, however, be expected to spend some time working in other UK locations as necessary.
You will be working closely with technical experts, consultants and business development staff across ADS&T, the wider organisation and supply chain to produce compelling bids. As a member of the core business development team, you will also be responsible for contributing to the continuous improvement of the division’s win-work capability (people, processes, tools, information and governance).
Ensuring that the bid is run in accordance with Atkins bid best practice and the Atkins bid process, and in compliance with the Atkins Service Delivery Process; focused on key strategic opportunities in the ADS&T pipeline.
This role will be the owner of the bid plan and has overall responsibility for producing a compelling proposal, on time and within an agreed bid budget. This includes:
- Identifying the resources required to undertake bid preparation and delivery activities; highlighting any resource, skill or capability gaps.
- Defining and agreeing a bid budget and schedule baseline (with the Bid Director) and controlling the bid budget and schedule against these agreed baselines.
- Planning, organising and scheduling activities in accordance with bid best practice, including the scheduling of applicable review activities and the allocation of appropriately qualified reviewers.
- Ensuring all necessary information, guidelines and supporting documentation is available to successfully undertake commercial and quality review activities.
- Planning, organising and scheduling activities necessary to comply with the Service Delivery Process, including the attendance of appropriately authorised approvers.
- Ensuring all necessary information and documentation is available to successfully undertake Service Delivery Process Stage Gate Reviews and gaining the requisite approvals.
The Senior Bid Manager is responsible for the design and development of the content plan such that the bid response document is in full compliance with the customer's stated requirements and best emphasises Atkins’ proposition. This includes the co-ordination and management of:
- The dissemination of information to all members of the bid team.
- The scope, quality and timeliness of input received from bid authors and contributors.
- The identification and provision of boilerplate and collateral information - such as case studies, CVs and company policy/procedure documents.
- The Atkins brand compliance and customer requirements compliance of the bid response document.
- Work with the Bid Director in establishing and testing the win strategy, including co-ordinating and supporting any required customer relationship and stakeholder management campaign activities.
- Scheduling and co-ordinating activities necessary to identify customer issues, hot buttons and the associated win themes and win strategy statements.
- Scheduling and co-ordinating activities necessary to identify the “price to win”.
- Scheduling and co-ordinating activities necessary to develop the proposed solution and identify any technical design, commercial and/or programme constraints.
The below criteria indicate the skills and experience that the successful candidate is likely to possess, however we recognise the right person may not satisfy all of these, and this should not discourage an application. First and foremost, we are looking for someone with relevant knowledge, the right attitude and potential.
- Experience of successfully delivering bids, from early inception and client information capture, through PQQ and ITT stage, onto client interviews, feedback and lessons learnt.
- Experience of structured bid processes, for example the Shipley bid process, and using these to produce high quality bid submissions.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to communicate well at all levels and in all forums from one-to-ones to group workshops and facilitation.
- Ability to maximise the use of tools such as Office365, MS Project, CRM and industry recognised sales techniques such as Miller Heiman and Huthwaites.
- Experience liaising with external and internal contacts at a range of levels.
- Commercial awareness / understanding.
- Commitment to quality and attention to detail.
- Supporting the functional director with team member line management, skills identification and resource management.
- Workload priorities.
- People management capabilities.
- Escalation management.
- Department representation across ADS&T.
Why work for Atkins?
Our Aerospace, Defence, Security & Technology (ADS&T) teams provide independent and objective advice in mission-critical sectors. Join us to make a direct difference in helping our country to achieve its security and defence goals. From advisory, conceptual design and acquisition, through transformation, manufacture, certification and in-service support. You'll be working alongside some of the top people in the industry.
We value diversity and believe that everyone deserves to thrive, without exception. So, you'll be part of a culture that wants to see more women in senior roles. We have signed the MoD's "Women in Defence" and "Women in Aviation and Aerospace" charters. These pledges include providing opportunities for women to succeed at all levels. We're also committed to being a Military friendly employer and have been recognised with the Ministry of Defence's (MoD) Gold Employer Recognition Award.
Meeting your needs:
When you start with us, you'll enjoy "Total Reward," a package that can be tailored to your lifestyle, career and personal needs. From flexible holidays to life assurance, health & wellbeing benefits, and career planning for the senior stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk about any adjustments you might need.
More about us:
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a leading global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed. Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once they join. We're also a Silver Rating holder in the Aerospace & Defence sector, as per the Financial Times rating of the UK’s leading management consultants.
Atkins is committed to developing its people both personally and professionally. Our colleagues have the advantage of access to a high ranging training portfolio and development activities designed to help make the best of individual’s abilities and talents. We also actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment.
We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements
Diversity & inclusion:
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
#LI-ADST | #LI-UK | #LI-ATKINS
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs