EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS: University Degree in Biology/Ecology, or a related discipline
WORK EXPERIENCE: Minimum 10 years
FIELD OF STUDY: Biology
SNC-Lavalin Inc., Environment & Geoscience (E&G) is seeking a Senior Biologist, based in Calgary, to help plan, manage, and execute environmental baseline studies, environmental assessments, environmental management, and regulatory approvals for a wide variety of clients within western Canada.The main purpose of the Senior Biologist position includes, but is not limited to, providing senior regulatory and technical support to project managers and clients in support of various projects. In addition, the Senior Biologist will provide mentoring to staff and participate in business development initiatives. The role may include a field component including project site visits / inspections, safety audits and liaison with clients and/or regulators.As a senior member of the team, this individual will be fully accountable for successfully managing and growing a range of clients and projects across the Prairies region.
- University degree in biology/ecology or related studies;
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience conducting and managing biological (i.e. wildlife, vegetation, wetlands, fisheries) studies;
- Previous consulting experience is required;
- Knowledge and understanding of prairie and boreal forest ecosystems, vegetation, and wildlife habitat;
- Proven knowledge of provincial and federal environmental assessment legislation and regulatory process;
- Working knowledge of the current survey protocols in Alberta. Knowledge of relevant protocols in Saskatchewan would be considered an asset ;
- Proven ability to develop, manage and conduct biological studies in a variety of ecosystems ;
- Demonstrable knowledge of environmental mitigation and protection planning measures;
- Demonstrated professionalism and commitment to continuous improvement;
- Recognized ability to work independently and succeed in a collaborative, multi-disciplinary team environment;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and ability to write and/or review complex biological studies and reports;
- Professional designation is an asset (e.g. P. Biol. or R. P.Bio.);
- Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) experience in Alberta and/or Saskatchewan is an asset;
- Broad knowledge of other biology disciplines outside of specialty areas (vegetation, wetlands, wildlife etc.) is an asset .
Key responsibilities of the Senior Biologist position will include:
- Plan, manage and conduct biological surveys/inventories and assessments (experience across multiple disciplines is an asset) in accordance with applicable protocols/methods;
- Act as a key resource and client contact for diverse set of environmental assessment, management, and permitting projects;
- Supervise field work and mentor junior and intermediate field staff;
- Assist in or lead the preparation of regulatory approval and permitting applications;
- Prepare environmental protection and mitigation plans to facilitate regulatory approvals;
- Prepare technical reports associated with regulatory approvals or compliance requirements;
- Prepare proposals and cost estimates;
- Ensure technical quality of work including field methodology and review of client deliverables (proposals, reports and mapping);
- Establish and maintain relationships with government and regulatory agencies .
Please note that periodic field work may be required for this position.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status or and other characteristics protected by law.
Local Candidates will be preferred and no relocation package will be offered.
While SNC-Lavalin would like to thank all those that apply, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions – including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance – to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. On July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. http://www.snclavalin.com
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences