Senior Civil/Drainage Designer (Infrastructure, Building Structures)
Civil/Drainage Designer (Infrastructure, Building Structures) – Epsom
Atkins are looking to appoint a civil/drainage designer into our Building Design team to help deliver our ambitious plans for the Building Design practice in the region and across the UK.
Atkins’ Building Design practice provides multidisciplinary engineering services and integrated solutions across a wide range of projects and sectors including: Aviation, Defence, Energy, Education, Commercial, Residential and Transportation. The position of civil/drainage designer will help grow our business within the region and nationally with a focus on the Cities and Development market.
The ideal candidate will have proven experience and technically competent across all core disciplines (drainage, utilities, pavements, highway design) with exemplary communication skills. You will be reporting directly to the Epsom Structures team lead and will work closely with engineers and architects of all levels on a broad range of projects and lead a small team. You should have the ability to make decisions, act on your own initiative and operate in a pro-active way.
The candidate needs to have a willingness to participate in the practice and foster a team-building mentality with colleagues.
The role will offer a challenging and rewarding opportunity to apply knowledge, experience and problem-solving skills whilst providing good opportunities for career development. If you have a passion for engineering and want to understand where a career with Atkins might lead then we would like to hear from you.
As a civil/drainage designer in the Building Design practice the successful candidate would have the following responsibilities and be required to:
- Competently lead and successfully deliver small to medium sized civil/drainage projects
- Produce and review designs in accordance with relevant design standards and codes
- Prepare briefs, scopes of work and input into bid proposals
- Successfully manage budgets to key project milestones and programme
- Participate in practice leadership and mentoring to junior engineers
- Work closely with other practice disciplines to deliver integrated design solutions
- Work closely with the global design centre (GDC - Bangalore) to deliver design
- Have a broad understanding of industry BIM requirements
In addition to the role responsibilities detailed above the following is required:
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working as a civil/drainage designer in the UK buildings sector
- Works independently on design projects, consistently exercising discretion and judgment, under supervision. Design work utilises individual creativity but is always reviewed by a Professional Engineer
- Technical design experience across core civils disciplines including utility and drainage networks, sustainable drainage systems, pavements and highway works/agreements
- Sound experience in conceptual design and delivery of design
- Experience working with and negotiating with key project stakeholders including regulatory, statutory and local bodies.
- Strong communication skills, independent working, presenting and influencing skills.
- Experience in change management and quality assurance processes
- Digital skills desired but not essential – appetite to learn is key
- Flexibility and willingness to travel, if required.
- Technical writing, computer and communications skills required.
- Experience working in commercial and residential is an advantage
- AutoCAD and Civil 3D knowledge and understanding required.
- Must have ability to visit project sites or attend meetings outside the office, if necessary. Full UK driving licence
- Professional registration not required; however, candidate should be seeking applicable registration
WINDES MicroDrainage – highly proficient