Senior Civil Engineer
Senior Civil Engineer
Atkins, a member of SNC Lavalin, is looking for Senior Civil Engineers to join the Design and Advanced Technology (D&AT) Practice, to be based principally in our Epsom or London offices but with opportunities to work at our own and our Client locations elsewhere in the UK and overseas.
Our people are focused on our routes to market and driven to deliver for our clients, improve efficiencies, develop and exploit cutting edge technology, deliver safe and sustainable solutions, and develop our leaders of tomorrow. Working collaboratively, we pride ourselves on the safe delivery of technically excellent engineering solutions in the built environment, with the end users in mind, to both external and internal clients. Our knowledge of contractor's construction techniques allows our teams to produce efficient designs that can be built safely and efficiently. Our expertise covers the full infrastructure life cycle, from feasibility, planning, investigation, design and supervision of new assets through to assessment, repair, modification and rehabilitation of existing assets.
The ideal candidate would be a well-rounded civil engineer, technically competent across all core disciplines (drainage, utilities, pavements, civil structures), with exemplary communication skills, and who has experience leading small teams and delivering projects. This role would support projects in multiple sectors including transportation, energy and defence.
The candidate must be willing to participate in the Practice and foster collaboration with colleagues. They would also demonstrate a commitment to and participation in the industry.
The role will offer a challenging and rewarding opportunity to apply knowledge, experience and problem-solving skills whilst providing good opportunities for career development. If you have a passion for engineering and want to understand where a career with Atkins might lead then we would like to hear from you.
As a Senior Civil Engineer in the D&AT practice the successful candidate would have the following responsibilities:
- Competently lead and successfully deliver small to medium sized civil engineering and multi-discipline projects.
- Take discipline lead and support roles in larger projects.
- Produce and review designs in accordance with relevant design standards and codes, and to high Quality levels
- Prepare briefs, scopes of work and input into bid proposals
- Successfully manage time and budgets to key project milestones and programmes
- Participate in practice leadership and mentoring to others (this could include a role as a DE with the ICE)
- Work closely with teams in UK and overseas to deliver integrated design solutions
- Deliver projects to BIM Level 2 requirements
- Practically minded with a problem-solving nature
- Able to work independently and in teams
- Accept responsibility for work carried out
- Flexible attitude to the type of work undertaken, level of responsibility given and work location
- Self-motivating, reliable and consistent approach to work is essential
- Professionally Qualified (IEng or CEng, MICE, or equivalent) or approaching Qualification.
- Technical experience across core disciplines including utility and drainage networks, sustainable drainage systems, pavements and access roads, earthworks and civil structures.
- Experience working with and negotiating with key project stakeholders including regulatory, statutory and local bodies.
- Proactive, co-operative and helpful attitude to colleagues and clients
- Form strong relationships with client colleagues outside of the business area and with clients
- Strong communication skills, independent working, presenting and influencing skills.
- Able to reliably manage a team or group.
- Robust experience in change management and QA processes
- Robust understanding of contracts (principally NEC forms) and their administration
- Excellent approach to safety in design, including CDM regulations
- Digital skills desired but not essential – appetite to learn is key
- MS Office (including MS Excel - Visual Basic Script desirable) - proficiency
- WINDES MicroDrainage – proficiency
- Autodesk products (AutoCAD, Civil 3d) - introductory level skills
- NavisWorks - introductory level skills
- GIS (desirable)
- Pything or other scripting – basic ability (desirable)
- Information Management platforms (Projectwise, Aconex, etc.)
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs