Senior Civil Engineer - Site Development
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years.
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Orlando, FL Civil Engineering Group as a Senior Civil Engineer - Site Development.
Under general direction of the Project Manager, provides technical expertise to the civil staff for diverse engineering activities on land development projects. Projects can range from commercial, single-family, multi-family, theme park, resorts and federal projects. In this role, you
May function as lead designer or technical consultant. Conducts quality control checks of engineering calculations, designs, specifications, reports, and cost estimates. Upholds engineering ethics and standards of conduct.
- Defines scope of project, with full responsibility for interpreting, organizing and executing project assignments.
- Selects problems for investigation, developing novel approaches and solutions to technical problems.
- Recommends changes or improvement to plans and programs.
- Acts as the engineering / technical leader of land development projects.
- Provides high-level direction to the design team by being two or three steps in front of the design and production process so that potential design and scheduling issues and resource needs can be identified as soon as possible.
- Assists the project manager with forward planning and leadership.
- Must lead the design team by example and mentor the less-experienced staff, and be able to delegate work to the appropriate team members.
- Has a thorough understanding of the criteria related to site grading and drainage, sanitary sewers, water main design, storm systems, roadways, earthwork, ADA compliance, pavement markings, and signage.
- Strong familiarity with stormwater management, erosion, and sediment control.
- Must work effectively and coordinate efficiently with outside consultants including architects, mechanical engineers, electrical engineers and landscape architects.
- Attends such meetings as appropriate or necessary by the project manager.
- Shares experiences and insight with the design team to help the team produce deliverables that are sound and follow local design standards, criteria, guidelines and engineering practices.
- Can complete the conceptual design of different elements of a project, but also able to provide specific design assistance when warranted such as a pending due date.
- Conducts quality control checks, reviewing calculations, designs, evaluations and specifications developed by design staff for accuracy and completeness, performing on-site inspections and reviews, and conducting or overseeing remedial design work.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- B.S. or M.S. in Engineering. M.S. or graduate level technical coursework preferred.
- This level may be achieved by Engineers with seven years of experience since B.S. or 6 years since M.S.
- Typical incumbent has ten to fourteen years of experience.
- Proven technical writing and communication skills.
- PE License Required.
- Applicant is required to have extensive experience in AutoCAD Civil 3D, ICPR, WaterCAD, StormCAD, grading, utility & lift station design, permitting and plans production.
- Applicant will lead teams of engineers and designers to prepare plans and submittal packages.
- Applicant will train designers and engineers to assist in their professional growth in the field of land development.
- Must be able to coordinate well with others, including other in-house structural, highway, and drainage design teams, water resources staff, landscape architects, surveyors, subconsultants, etc.
- Must have ability to communicate clearly, both orally and in writing.
- Must have ability to visit project sites or attend meetings outside the office, if necessary.
- Must have ability to process paper/electronic documents and utilize computer equipment.
- Must have ability to assemble and analyze data.
- Must have ability to plan, prioritize and review project plans and documents, evaluate alternatives, and select appropriate solutions.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Atkins will not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, headhunters, contract recruiters, search firms or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate, Atkins explicitly reserves the right to recruit and hire those candidate(s) at its discretion, and without any financial obligation whatsoever to the recruiter or agency. Any such unsolicited resume or candidate contact information, including those submitted directly to Atkins hiring managers or any other employee, shall become the property of Atkins upon receipt.
Our Latest Articles