Senior Civil Engineering Project Manager
Senior Civil Engineering Project Manager
Senior Civil Engineering Project Manager
Why join us?
We are Hiring! Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Henderson, NV Civil Engineering Group as a Senior Civil Engineering Project Manager. Under direction, this position provides professional and project management expertise in the direction of highly unconventional projects requiring multiple technical units and/or subcontractors, heavy regulatory agency involvement or extremely complex technical requirements. Functions as mentor to project managers and technical professionals to assist in their training and development. Also performs the basic project functions of production coordination, planning, organizing, directing, controlling, financial management and marketing. This position will report to the Civil Senior Technical Manager.
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years.
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
How will you contribute to the team?
- Management of routine projects, characterized by changing conditions and requirements, challenging client/agency demands, or difficult project coordination.
- Manages land development projects.
- Coordinates and participates in contract negotiations with clients and subcontractors, and drafts complex professional service agreements and addenda for review by senior management.
- Provides high-level direction to the design team and identifies potential design and scheduling issues and resource needs as soon as possible so appropriate adjustments can be made.
- Provides forward planning and leadership.
- Functions as a senior land development team member. Must lead the design team by example and mentor the less-experienced staff, and be able to delegate work to the appropriate team members.
- Must have familiarity with all aspects of civil engineering design and criteria related to land development projects, including site grading and drainage, sanitary sewers, water main design, storm sewers, roadways, earthwork, erosion and sediment control, ADA compliance, stormwater management, pavement markings, and signage.
- Monitors reports and schedules to ensure appropriate charging of manhours, costs and expenses to projects, and communicates project progress/status to senior management.
- Monitors client billings, assists in obtaining payment from clients, and resolves client disputes, adjusting project billing records as required.
- Must work effectively and coordinate efficiently with outside consultants including architects, mechanical engineers, electrical engineers and landscape architects.
- Schedules, coordinates and attends meetings with project team, client and/or review agencies, and ensures that timely and appropriate exhibits, progress prints, backup data, etc. required for the meetings are prepared by the team.
- Shares experiences and insight with the design team to help the team produce deliverables that are sound and follow local design standards, criteria, guidelines and engineering practices.
- Must understand the scope of work defined by the contract, and monitor the budget with respect to completion of the work. Must monitor task budgets so adjustments can be made appropriately if too much time is being spent to complete the tasks.
- Must recognize out-of-scope work and react in a timely manner so extra work isn’t performed without authorization from the client.
- Defines scope of work for each project, and has full responsibility for interpreting, organizing and assigning project tasks.
- Works with team to develop novel approaches and solutions to technical problems.
- Conducts quality control checks, reviewing calculations, designs, evaluations and specifications developed by design staff for accuracy and completeness.
- May prepare / review basis of design reports, design memos, construction specifications, and other project-related documents, when needed.
- Recommends changes or improvements to plans and programs.
- Responsibilities include budgeting, financial management, schedule coordination and resources allocation.
- Participates in project opportunity evaluation, consultant selection, and preparation of firm’s qualification/experience statements.
- Participates in evaluating performance of team members during annual and mid-year review processes.
- Performs such other duties as supervisor may from time-to-time deem necessary.
- Manages a variety of civil engineering projects.
- Functions as a senior member of the Civil Engineering Practice. Must lead the design team by example and mentor the less-experienced staff, and be able to delegate work to the appropriate team members.
- Must have familiarity with all aspects of civil engineering design and criteria, including site grading and drainage, sanitary sewers, water main design, storm sewers, roadways, earthwork, erosion and sediment control, ADA compliance, stormwater management, pavement markings, and signage.
What will you contribute?
- Bachelor's degree in field(s) of practice.
- Graduate degree preferred.
- Management coursework and/or MBA a plus.
- This level may be achieved with ten years of experience in project production and technical professional activities, four of these working as a project manager.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Good public speaking ability.
- Strong project financial management skills.
- Knowledge of production support systems and personal computer proficiency.
- Experience with local municipalities and agencies in the Las Vegas area a plus.
- Site/Land development design experience.
- AutoCAD and Civil 3D knowledge and understanding required.
- ProjectWise, Bluebeam and MS Project knowledge and understanding a plus.
- Strong technical writing and communications skills are expected at this level
- Must be able to coordinate well with others, including other in-house structural, highway, and drainage design teams, water resources staff, landscape architects, surveyors, subconsultants, etc.
- Must have ability to communicate clearly, both orally and in writing.
- Must have ability to visit project sites, if necessary.
- Must have ability to process paper/electronic documents and utilize computer equipment.
- Must have ability to assemble and analyze data.
- Must have ability to plan, prioritize and review project plans and documents, evaluate alternatives, and select appropriate solutions.
- General Competencies expected of all Professionals and Managers include: Client Service, Commitment, Communication, Innovation & Continuous Improvement, Professionalism, Quality, and Teamwork.
- Nevada P.E. License required or ability to obtain a Nevada Civil P.E. License within 6 months of employment.
What we offer at Atkins:
At Atkins, you will enjoy a robust rewards package which includes:
- Opportunity to work on various projects of various sizes
- Competitive salary
- Flexible work schedules
- Group Insurance
- Retirement Savings Plan with employer match
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Learning and development programs, training, career opportunities and a highly regarded tuition reimbursement program
If this sounds like you and you would like to expand your career with us, apply today!
Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please review Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy and are committed to protecting your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice on our Careers site to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
Note to staffing and direct hire agencies:
In the event a recruiter or agency who are not on our preferred supplier list submits a resume/candidate to anyone in the company, SNC-Lavalin family of companies, we explicitly reserve the right to recruit and hire the candidate(s) at our discretion and without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. https://careers.snclavalin.com/recruitment-agencies
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs