Senior Civil Engineering Technical Manager
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Tampa, FL Civil Engineering Group as a Senior Civil Engineering Technical Manager.
This position may also reside in our Miami, Orlando, or Fort Lauderdale offices.
Under general direction, supervises the staff and work production of a technical work unit. Provides leadership, direction and technical guidance to staff to ensure that quality technical services are provided to clients and that the technical work unit meets its operating performance targets. Manages project production, project acquisition/client relations, and financial management of the work unit to ensure quality, client satisfaction, continued production backlog, and profitability of all projects within the work unit. Typically responsible for annual revenues over $2M and over 15 staff.
- Staff Administration: With Technical Director, BU Managers and Project Managers, identifies current and future staffing availability based on technical and budgetary requirements of future workload and manpower projections. Recommends salary levels for new hires and initiates salary and position adjustment actions for staff, subject to senior management review and approval. Conducts semi-annual performance reviews and annual career planning sessions with direct reports. Provides staff with ongoing performance feedback and counsel to promote improved performance and career development. Helps staff identify and pursue technical and professional development activities consistent with their career development goals and work unit objectives/company needs. Ensures staff compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Project Production and Management: Ensure appropriate staff allocation to projects in consideration of project schedules, budgets, key milestone dates and work products. Monitors and enforces compliance with established quality control standards, ensuring that appropriate quality assurance activities are being performed throughout the operating unit. Reviews project QC plans and periodic QA compliance audits on current or recently completed projects. Assists staff in resolving problems concerning work with the various business units.
- Technical Excellence: Maintains visibility and professional currency by actively participating in professional and civic organizations and encourages staff to do the same. Works with Practice and Technical Directors to design and implement development tracks for technical staff, with a focus on building technical excellence at all levels of the organization.
- Marketing and Client Maintenance: May participate in pursuing new project opportunities for firm by maintaining contacts with current and prospective clients.
- Contracts and Financial: May assist sales leads and project managers to staff new pursuits and contract negotiations. Approves purchase requests for capital items as specified in the Authorization Matrix.
- Performs such other duties as the supervisor may from time to time deem necessary.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in field of practice.
- Post graduate degree preferred. Management coursework and/or MBA a plus.
- This level may be achieved by technical professionals or technical managers with 15 years of experience since B.S., with at least three of these years in positions with project management or supervisory responsibilities.
- Excellent technical and interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to manage individuals and teams, provide leadership, and manage project production; Seeking individual with prior team management expertise across multiple offices.
- Must have financial business acumen, excellent communication skills, and be able to represent the firm effectively to clients, key public officials, and the community in general.
- Must have heavy highway/roadway design and project management experience.
- Professional Engineer's License in Florida required, or ability to obtain one within 6 months of employment.
- Must be able to travel within the state (and on occasion outside FL).
- Experience in leadership, team management and mentorship of highway related staff at multiple levels across multiple offices required.
- Strong understanding /history with FDOT clients and municipalities.
- Strong project/financial management background.
- Ability to assist with marketing and proposals for new work.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Atkins will not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, headhunters, contract recruiters, search firms or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate, Atkins explicitly reserves the right to recruit and hire those candidate(s) at its discretion, and without any financial obligation whatsoever to the recruiter or agency. Any such unsolicited resume or candidate contact information, including those submitted directly to Atkins hiring managers or any other employee, shall become the property of Atkins upon receipt.
Our Latest Articles