Senior Commercial Manager
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. We build long-term trusted partnerships to create a world where lives are enriched through the implementation of new and exciting ideas. Atkins has a vision to shape the future of transportation, to lead where others will follow and to deliver the future of mobility today.
Atkins Transportation Division covers all aspects of multidisciplinary design and management from inception to options appraisal through to detailed scheme design and delivery support. Atkins is one of the UK’s leading multi-disciplinary consultancies engaged in numerous high profile projects for Clients in both the Public and Private Sector.
Senior Commercial Manager
• Implement commercial best practice to maximise value and minimise risk and cost to The Company.
• Support the business stream in developing and implementing commercial strategies for successfully winning bids and managing post contract activities
• Lead or provide commercial support to deliver expected P&L results across Contracts or Bids
• Coach and develop staff to ensure commercial processes are embedded at all levels of the business
•Be an ambassador for The Company and champion best practice
• Driving consistency of good valuation/commercial processes both pre and post Contract for RED contracts and large strategic projects.
• Lead or provide commercial support to deliver good p/l results across contracts or bids as applicable.
• Develop in conjunction with Group procurement good supply chain strategies for winning bids and delivering contracts.
• Deliver the pre and post Contract opportunity and risk process including mitigation of risk
• Negotiate with key customer interfaces
• Delivering robust commercial solutions in all our bids
• Develop good strategies for further improving cash flows in this part of the business
• Adherence to company policies and processes
• Ability to communicate with client and internally to promote the Company brand and influence an end result
• Assertive with an ability to retain a good working relationship with bidding teams and customer
• Ability to manage upwards to Account or Business Director and functionally report to National CM
• Support the bid director in winning strategic bids by use of good commercial strategy and process
• Support post contract activity by delivering solutions to discrete post contract strategic issues.
• Support mobilisation of key contracts commercially with robust processes
• Work with key supply chain companies
• Build excellent relationships with National CM and Commercial Director.
•MRICS (working towards FRICS)
•10 years post qualification experience in a senior role.
• Competent in basic computer skills
• Strong commercial and financial acumen
• Ability to time-manage, set priorities and work to strict deadlines
• Methodical style of working
• Ability to develop and recruit staff
• Detailed understanding of the contract conditions used by the division
• Awareness of industry issues
• Excellent health and safety awareness
• Experience in a Contracting QS role
• Experience of Design and Build Contracts
• Experience of NEC3 range of contracts
• IOSH managing Safely
• Ensure compliance with the Company systems, processes and procedures
• Assist in endeavouring to ensure that all contemporary records are kept by the project team members for use in supporting claims, extensions of time, and the evaluation of variations
• Collate and file all contemporary records
• Assist in the bid and tender process and feed in as required
• Assist in providing commercial and financial feed-back to the Estimators
• Support the commercial team in ensuring cost capture processes are complied with.
• Maintain professional working relationships at all times
• Assist in providing all cost/commercial information required under the Contract(s) (Reporting, Cashflows and Forecasts, etc.) as directed
• Assist in collating all information required to generate applications for payment
• Assist in submitting with each application for payment final anticipated Client outturn costs as directed
• Assist in submitting in a timely manner Change Requests, with price and programme effects, for subsequent agreement as directed
• Assist in the commercial management of the Subcontract Accounts
• Appreciation of the Company Bid Governance process
• Promote a team-working environment
• Promote the Company safety culture
• Participate in regular monthly safety meetings
•A Legal understanding relevant to contracts
•Experience of delivering commercial solutions on contracts of high value or complex nature.
•Track record of winning work and/or delivering good p/l
•Good negotiator who achieves their objectives
•Engages with the Company values
•Agile and focussed commercial operator
•Strong desire to further Client relationships whilst ensuring that contractual entitlements are not compromised
•Determination to develop and coach junior members of the commercial team
•Motivation and desire to succeed
•Ability to work under pressure
•Good communication skills
•Good negotiation skills
•Act as Mentor to all roles.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Our Latest Articles