Senior Consultant-Active Travel
Senior Consultant-Active Travel
Senior Consultant – Active Travel
Are you ready to take up a vital role in shaping some of our exciting projects? How about joining our talented team, where everyone has a voice, and together we face our clients' problems head-on. It's a diverse and inclusive work environment where world-class talent knows no distinctions.
We know that different people have different priorities, which is why we're here to support you. Flexible and remote working is a central part of our culture. So, talk to us about what's ideal for you – from reduced weeks to buying more leave over school holidays. And if you're returning from a career break, ask us how we can help you transition back into work with us.
This is a new role to support the growth of the existing active travel team across the UK.
The role will primarily focus on active travel projects, assisting the wider team and leading on smaller projects. There is significant development potential for the right candidate.
The main aspects of work will include assisting the team with solutions to walking and cycling problems, carrying out assessments and design reviews, high level research projects and the formulation of highways design standards and guidance documents.
The ideal candidate will also be able and willing to assist with business development in the field of active travel across the region.
The role is to be based within any of our UK offices, with some travel to other offices and project locations across the UK expected.
- Degree qualified in a relevant subject (Civil Engineering / Transport Planning or similar)
- Essential Criteria
- Experience of walking and cycling projects from initial planning and strategic advice through to feasibility studies and scheme delivery.
- Technical awareness of active travel standards, policies and best practice.
- Awareness of UK highway design documents within DMRB and others – such as Active Travel (Wales) Act Design Guidance and LTN 1/20.
- Experience of using DMRB GG 142 as a Lead Assessor or meet the expected competencies to allow this.
- An ability to lead small technical pieces of work such as feasibility studies, including managing and prioritising own workload.
- A good understanding of the UK transport planning and engineering market and geography.
- The ability to be flexible in terms of project delivery and working locations.
- Ability to manage multiple stakeholder and client relationships.
- Excellent IT skills.
- Membership of relevant technical institutions – e.g. ICE, CIHT, CILT.
Desirable Criteria -
- Full driving licence.
- Ability to assist with technical training seminars.
- Experience of large public and stakeholder consultation projects.
- Evidence of CPD relating to walking and cycling infrastructure design.
- Road safety engineering experience.
- Production of feasibility studies for walking and cycling projects.
- GG 142 Assessments and Reviews.
- Ad-hoc advice for internal and external clients with regards to walking and cycling design projects.
- Assisting the wider Transportation team with larger, complex projects such as UK standard, policy and guidance document updates.
- Assistance with business development across the region.
- Assistance with coaching and training of junior/graduate level staff.
- Assistance with technical training delivery.
- Managing stakeholder consultation processes as required.
We are seeking a proactive and enthusiastic individual with good existing client relationships. An eye for detail and confidence to challenge decisions and concepts in a constructive way are key attributes for this role. The ideal candidate will be comfortable working with clients and stakeholders at all levels.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
The actual full-time working hours are to be agreed with the line manager in due course. Some flexibility may be required by the successful candidate in order to meet project and client needs. A part-time role may be considered.
Why work for Atkins?
Our Transportation teams are reinventing transport for a challenging yet exciting future. We're creating new ideas and smart solutions for cities, people and the environment. You'll be working alongside some of the top people in our industry, solving challenges that bring together traditional engineering and new technologies. As part of our organisation, you'll be in a privileged position, delivering what's right for governments and communities. You'll be helping us to improve our leading environmental performance while enabling others to do the same.
Meeting your needs
To help you get the most out of life in and outside of work, we offer employees "Total Reward." It's a package that can be tailored to your changing lifestyle, career and personal needs. You'll enjoy benefits such as partner discounts, leadership training, professional, accreditations, and career planning for any stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk through any adjustments you might need.
More about us
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a leading global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed. Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once they join.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Are you ready to take up a vital role in shaping some of our exciting projects? How about joining our talented team, where everyone has a voice, and together we face our clients' problems head-on. It'
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs