Senior Consultant / Engineer - Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS)
Atkins’ Transportation Consultancy Practice comprises 500 staff delivering planning, technical and advisory consultancy services to a wide-ranging client base in the UK and overseas. We are part of a larger Transportation business of 3,000 talented professionals covering highway, rail and local transport sectors in the UK.
Intelligent Mobility and Smart Technologies (IMST) is a growing practice of around 80 engineers, consultants and technical specialists transforming the future of transport. We work with emerging technologies to push the boundaries of transportation and drive innovation. Our projects include urban & inter-urban traffic management and technology, journey management, roads of the future, connected autonomous vehicles, smart cities and data exploitation amongst other things. We play a leading role in shaping the industry through projects and innovation. In order to maintain this position our team require a variety of skills and capabilities, including specialists in smart motorways, ramp metering and other interurban technologies, connected and autonomous technologies, traffic signaling, cyber security, human factors, mobility as a service, big data and more. There are opportunities to contribute to the success of the team and to learn new skills through the variety of projects you could become involved in.
Your experience will enable you to provide high quality consultancy as part of a project team. Candidates will be required to prepare bids, act as project manager and be willing to lead appropriately sized tasks themselves.
The IMST team assists public sector organisations in a wide number of activities, providing ‘whole life’ consultancy across the breadth of a project. Typically, these include:
- Strategic and technical advice, feasibility and scoping
- Business case development, requirements capture, specification design and other project inception activities
- Site selection
- Project management during procurement and installation
- Commissioning and acceptance testing
- Calibration of technology schemes
- Scheme performance evaluation
- Monitoring of scheme operation and safety
- Research and development studies
The role involves leading and supporting these activities on projects of varying size.
As a consultancy, Atkins is a people based business and our continued success depends upon recruiting and retaining talented professionals from a variety of backgrounds. We are as committed to diversity as we are to excellence.
This position will be based at either our Leeds or Manchester office in the UK, but will involve occasional travel to other office and site locations as part of the job.
- Degree in Engineering, Maths or technical discipline
- Membership at the relevant grade, or ability to obtain it, of a relevant professional body.
- A minimum of 6-8 years of relevant experience
- Excellent communications and report writing skills
- Ability to understand complex issues and capture client and system requirements
- Ability to work as part of a team in a multi-discipline environment and in a matrix organisation
- Good knowledge of intelligent transport systems
- Strong mathematical skills
- Good knowledge of motorway control systems operation
- Experience of analysing traffic data, preferably to understand performance of motorway control systems
- Experience of providing technical consultancy in feasibility, business case, site selection, optimisation and / or evaluation, preferably of motorway control systems
- Project management experience
- Experience of supporting business development
- Delivery of high quality, innovative client solutions for IMST projects
- Monitoring projects to ensure delivery to budget, time and quality
- Liaison with clients with the ability to discuss all aspects of existing and future projects
- Identification and development of project opportunities
- Identification and development of bids to clients
- Preparation of cost estimates and scopes
- Effective management of the delivery of work to standards and procedures (internal and client)
- Contribution to the development of consultancy offerings and propositions
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate evidence of:
- Ability to work collaboratively in a complex matrix structure
- Ability to assist and guide less experienced staff on technical delivery and project management
- Ability to show initiative and examples of creativity
- A professional manner
- A clear and thorough communication style
- Flexible attitude
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Right to Work
The UK Government have taken steps to reduce net migration to the UK by limiting the number of overseas workers from outside the EEA coming to the UK for employment. Please note that whilst we are able to consider applications from overseas workers from outside the EEA (who require a Tier 2 (General) visa) we can only employ them if we can provide evidence that there are no other suitable candidates for this vacancy from inside the EEA.
Rewards and Benefits
Atkins’ competitive core benefits package includes:
- 25 days paid annual leave plus 8 bank holidays and the ability to purchase up to 15 days additional leave or sell up to 5 days leave
- Contributory Pension Scheme, Atkins will match and double employee contributions
- Life Assurance Scheme
- Personal accident cover
- Childcare vouchers
- Professional fees paid
- Give as you earn – charity contributions
- Private medical insurance discount
- Employee Referral Bounty Scheme
- IT Related discounts
- Share incentive plan (after 6 months service)
- Bike4Work scheme – opportunity to benefit from tax and NI savings on a new bike used primarily to travel to work.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.