Senior Electrical Engineer
Electrical/Senior Engineer - Bristol
Atkins, an SNC-Lavalin company, is a world-leader in engineering and design consultancy and construction. The Infrastructure division is currently looking for an Electrical/Senior Engineer to join our mechanical, electrical and process (MEP) team in Bristol and we plan to utilise your specialist skills to provide innovative multidisciplinary engineering solutions for our clients in the UK and overseas.
- Degree-qualified and Chartered or working towards Chartership, you will have the right blend of people skills, personal qualities and technical expertise to bring our solutions and projects to life. You will be positive and enthusiastic, a confident communicator at all levels, and a team player.
- Three to five years post graduate experience in an Electrical/ICA design role and looking to develop into or at senior level or over 5 years’ experience for the Senior role.
- Experience in water or wastewater treatment, desalination, or project management, would be an advantage
- Flexibility to work at other locations in the UK or overseas for short durations
- You will encourage and motivate those around you to work to your own high standards of quality and compliance.
- Using your own and our technical knowledge networks you will both educate and learn from those around you.
- You will be driven to stretch yourself and work outside of your comfort zone when the need arises.
What this role requires
The electrical and ICA engineering services we offer to our clients require us to be able to deliver in an agile and future-facing way as part of the wider MEP team. The following are therefore examples of the type of skills and qualities we need you to have. It’s important to remember that in your case, some of these could be developing skill areas.
- Educated to degree or master’s level with Electrical/Controls engineering bias; either Chartered or working towards chartered Member of a recognised professional institution.
- Computer-literate and able to work effectively work with the basic Microsoft suite of programmes, additionally competent in electrical design software packages such as AMTECH, AutoCAD 2D/3D and Automated P&ID.
- Experience within the water and/or wastewater engineering sector, with an awareness of electrical/ICA systems in other industry sections
- Ability to provide a customer-focussed service with an understanding of the water sector regulatory framework and strategic business planning.
- Ability to complete assignments on time, within budget and to a high technical standard
- A well-developed understanding of the design process.
- A developing external profile and reputation; a desire and willingness to raise the profile of oneself and the Company.
- Willingness to contribute to and develop our technical knowledge networks.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Well-motivated, with a positive outlook and approachable manner.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with colleagues and clients.
- Ability to be flexible and to multi-task and prioritise when necessary.
- Flexible and able to work within the rest of the UK and overseas, as work demands and if necessary.
Responsibilities (will vary depending on project and client)
- Asset surveys and assessments, using cutting-edge technologies and techniques as appropriate
- Feasibility, outline and detailed electrical and ICA design work (transformers, generators, LVSB, MCC, instrumentation, PLC, SCADA, telemetry etc.) including equipment and system specifications, design schedules, drawings: SLDs, BCDs, earthing, systems architecture diagrams, user requirement specifications (URS/FDS), technical design risk assessments, P&IDs, cost and programme estimations
- Electrical and ICA supplier design and equipment assessment and evaluation
- Technical report writing at all stages of the project lifecycle
- Liaison with clients within the UK and worldwide.
- Support and/or lead bids, fee proposals or offers of service; development of activity schedules/work plans
- Understanding of HAZOP, DSEAR, CDM, WIMES, British and European Standards and other statutory, regulatory and non-regulatory provisions and guidance
- Development of standard and bespoke design solutions for the water industry and beyond
- Meet and exceed our quality, programme, budgetary and H&S requirements on projects
- Delivering projects as a part of multidisciplinary, multi-location, multi-party teams
- Preparing profile-raising material such as technical papers and presentations to conferences, staff and clients
- Support technical and ‘expert witness’ investigations and appraisals
- Contributing to our technical networks, to broaden your and our skills, experience and technical reputation
- Supporting and technically developing less experienced colleagues
- Working with and developing new automated digital design tools
About Atkins - MEP team
The national MEP practice is a well-established, multidisciplinary, water engineering team with a varied and extensive global portfolio of asset creation, process improvement and plant optimisation projects. Our local teams incorporate expert process, mechanical and electrical engineers who provide a multidisciplinary approach to solving our clients’ problems in creating, managing, building and investing in water and wastewater infrastructure. Applying a networked management approach, and with a focus on staff empowerment, trust and agility, our fast-paced business can match your ambitions.
By drawing on the experience and knowledge of our global process engineering technical network, you will be encouraged to enhance your continuing professional development through developing and exploiting ground-breaking technological engineering advances within the water industry. From this class-leading technical foundation, your abilities will be developed to allow you to craft innovative, sustainable solutions and help us and our clients to take advantage of the digital revolution and embed resilience in our delivered solutions. And you will help us let the world know just how good you and we are at this.
Why work with us?
As electrical and instrumentation, control and automation engineers we have a deep understanding of the current technologies implemented at treatment plants. We know that treating water and waste water to the right quality at the lowest whole life cost and carbon is fundamental. This is enabled with smart, efficient and experienced electrical and ICA engineering. Smart EICA engineering starts by understanding the fundamentals and current technology trends in the water/process engineering sector. By applying our knowledge, experience and tools we deliver innovative and cost-effective power and control solutions to our clients – these include LV (and HV) power systems, motor control centers, process instrumentation, process automation and state of the art control systems. We provide industry-leading EICA engineering services right through the project lifecycle, with value added in particular during the feasibility, outline and detailed design stages. Additionally, we provide several specialist service offerings such as systems modelling, DSEAR/ATEX and functional safety all of which differentiate our service offering and capability.
We employ a range of proprietary and in-house developed digital tools. We create and use intelligent P+IDs, 3D designs, plant visualization and virtual reality techniques to immerse the designer and the operator in the solutions we create. We use industry leading electrical design packages and power systems analysis software. We also have our own suite of intelligent design schedules and MCC design tool all developed in-house by our engineers.
Our people demonstrate thought leadership and align us with our clients’ values and desired outcomes at project and programme level. We champion sustainable, best value solutions and deliver them more effectively by being, individually and collectively, faster, smarter and more reliable.
Rewards, benefits and career development, training
We offer a comprehensive and competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with the role and your skills and experience. Please refer to our website for further details. Our technical networks offer fantastic opportunities for you to grow your experience, expertise and reputation amongst your peers and beyond. Our broad range of projects, and wide pool of expert people will help you and your career grow to suit your aspirations and desires. We will help you to develop professionally and personally through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. Your development plan will be regularly reviewed through an on-going career development process. We actively support staff who seek to achieve membership of relevant professional institutions.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
Our Latest Articles