Senior Engineer - Decentralised Energy
Do you want to be part of delivering Net Zero Carbon and helping tackle climate change? As our energy system changes and the way, we use energy adapts, Atkins Decentralised Energy team is playing a leading role across the UK and further afield, helping to solve a key challenge of our time.
If you are a pro-active mechanical, electrical or building services engineer with excellent technical, communication and project delivery skills, and thrive in dynamic environments, then this could be the ideal opportunity for you to join Decentralised Energy business.
- This is an opportunity to join a fast-paced growing business within Atkins focused on the development of decentralised energy projects.
- Building strong and trusted relationships is a key part of this role. You’ll enjoy working with others, sometimes at client sites, sometimes from our offices.
- You will be given the opportunity to develop your career and play a critical role supporting the development and implementation of our client’s projects.
About the Project or About the Team
Our Energy business has been operating for over four decades and the pace of change has never been greater than it is now. These are critical times in how the world generates and uses Energy. There is a critical need to reduce carbon emissions to avoid damaging climate change, as part of the Net Zero Carbon drive. However, this needs to be balanced against the requirement to provide electricity and heat at affordable cost. Further pressure is created by the increasing demand from developing nations and our responsibility as a society to provide access to electricity to as many of the world’s population as possible.
You’ll be working as part of the Decentralised Energy team , playing a leading role in delivering projects and helping to drive forward our business.
Our dynamic and innovative team of engineers and consultants work on projects of all shapes and sizes. At a strategic level, we work with national Government and industry bodies to help shape policy, such as the ongoing regulation of district heating. Other strategic initiatives include helping the Scottish Government to deliver the high profile Local Heat & Energy Efficiency Strategies (LHEES) pilot programme.
We also help our Clients to deliver and implement real projects, ranging from feasibility studies, through to design, construction and Client Engineer roles. Our team has a strong track record of delivering operational projects and helping Client’s realise their aims of energy reduction, decarbonisation and air quality improvement.
As the low carbon industry develops, we are also working with organisations such as lenders and private sector businesses in the sale and purchase of assets. This includes technical due diligence roles on projects across the UK and mainland Europe, such as major district heating companies and renewable energy installations
What you’ll be doing
We are looking for an experienced engineer to join our team. The role will be focused around feasibility assessment, design delivery and technical quality assurance of decentralised energy projects, but responsibilities will include contributing to the life cycle of consultancy, including bidding and project execution. Furthermore a key component of the role will be to mentor and develop the technical capability of our junior staff.
Variety is key to this role. One day you might be solving a complex engineering challenge, the next you will be meeting with Clients, or writing a high-quality bid to help us land the next big project.
Our aim is to develop highly skilled, multi-talented consultants and engineers. We will always encourage our staff to work on new types of projects, develop new technical skills and learn new ways of working. This includes our drive to promote efficiency and innovation through deployment of digital tools and techniques.
The following attributes are essential:
- Chartered Mechanical or Electrical Engineer or Building Services Engineer (CEng)
- Ability to lead and undertake engineering design, review and technical advisory, across a range of decentralised energy projects
- Demonstrable experience in:
- the Renewables sector with a good knowledge of key technologies e.g. biomass, heat pumps, storage
- decentralised energy, including district heating and/or cooling projects
- control systems e.g. BEMS/ SCADA
- Ability to run and manage projects, including financial performance
- Strong Quality, Safety, Security, Environment (QSSE) focus, with demonstrable track record of implementing these standards
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Entrepreneurial attitude and willingness to challenge normal practice
- Capable and confident of leading, building and maintaining strong business relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Positive outlook and approachable manner
- Drive and ambition to help us create a market leading business in this sector
- Knowledge of electric vehicle infrastructure and smart networks
- Some experience of costing and economic modelling of projects
- Experience of project delivery, including design and site phase implementation (e.g. witnessing of commissioning)
- Knowledge and experience of technical due diligence
- Some work outside normal office hours may be necessary. Travel to and from client sites and/or temporary secondment to client’s offices may also be required.
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations. Our commitment to staff development is underpinned by numerous stable and long-term framework agreements with key clients.
This is an exciting time for us, we are diversifying our portfolio to become a more global organisation, while also continuing to grow our services in the Nuclear and Power New Build sector in the UK. As part of a larger SNC Lavalin global business, there will be opportunities to develop your skills and experience in the UK working across all our clients and for international travel.
Flexible working options may be considered for this vacancy.
We develop individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house as well as external training for all our staff.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.