Senior Engineer- Highways
Senior Engineer Job Description
Our Transportation Division is currently seeking a Senior Engineer in our Trowbridge office to support the delivery of a wide variety of multi-disciplinary highways projects within Wiltshire and the South West. Using your excellent people, technical and delivery skills, you’ll drive a variety of civil and structural designs for new build, renewal, maintenance and assessment works.
You’ll be part of one of the largest transportation consultancies in the UK, and a leading supplier of engineering services to government, regulatory and local authorities, infrastructure owners and operators. Major clients include Highways England, Various Local Authorities, Network Rail, London Underground, HS2, Train Operating Companies, Design & Build Contractors and other niche clients.
You will be working on highway projects being delivered under the Local Authority Framework Contract that we have with Wiltshire Council, and with other, neighbouring County Councils. We are looking to grow our civil engineering / highways design and supervision capability in the region based in Trowbridge. Atkins also provide opportunities to work on overseas projects and with our internationally based design teams.
You will have a background in civil engineering highway design and experience of delivery of a range of multi-disciplinary highway projects. Ideally, you should be familiar with working in large, geographically dispersed multidisciplinary design teams on projects at varying stages of development from feasibility to detailed design. The role will involve close working with our Global Design Centre highways and civils teams based on India.
- Leading technical delivery of highway design and civil engineering projects / civil engineering input into multi-disciplinary projects.
- Using your excellent analytical skills to derive potential solutions to engineering problems and engineering judgement to appraise and recommend options.
- Undertake the role of Technical Lead or Technical Reviewer on projects.
- Overseeing completion of designs and the production of and review design documentation including sketches, drawings, calculations, reports and specifications.
- Preparation of Contract documentation under the NEC3and NEC4 form of Contract and Bills of Quantities under the MCHW
- Staying abreast of industry developments and changes in standards.
- Ensuring work produced is technically accurate and delivered in accordance with the appropriate standards.
- Undertake the role of Project Manager on schemes, ensuring project governance is maintained and that the project is delivered to Atkins quality assurance standards, and to budget and to programme.
- Developing more junior staff by technical training and mentoring. You’ll most likely be acting as a Delegated Engineer or Supervising Civil Engineer for those under formal training agreements.
- Working with and supporting multi-disciplinary global teams.
- Maintaining and developing excellent professional relationships which can secure repeat business in highway design, masterplanning and design of the urban realm.
- To work as part of a collaborative team with the Contractor / Client / Public, developing strong and lasting relationships which promote aligned, efficient and smarter ways of working.
- Presenting to clients and key stakeholders in a professional, responsive and client focused manner.
- Client, programme and financial management of projects.
- Assisting with / preparing fee offers for agreement with the client.
- Assigning work to and checking / reviewing the project team’s work.
- Assisting the Regional Highways Manager and PMs to plan delivery of portfolios.
- Working collaboratively across the Atkins Group.
- BEng / MEng or MSc degree in civil engineering or equivalent.
- Chartered / Incorporated status and corporate membership of the ICE or IHT.
- Experience of working with our key clients, e.g. Local Authorities, Highways England, Network Rail, Developers and/or major Contractors.
- Ability to contribute to bids and tenders.
- Ability to develop and agree scopes and manage the internal technical supply chain, including budgets, programme and quality of deliverable, delivering within set time frame.
- Experience of developing strong and sustainable Client relationships
- Good project management skills, commercial awareness, financial control and ability to deliver across a range of contract types. This will include an ability to manage stakeholders, e.g. specialist suppliers, independent checkers and local authorities.
- Commercially astute and an excellent communicator with the desire to take on extra management responsibilities and keep on developing your skills and our team.
- Knowledge of Project Governance and Development Processes for Highways England and / or Local Authorities.
- Good understanding of relevant design standards, including Eurocodes and those of Highways England, such as Design Manual for Roads and Bridges, Manual of Contract Documents for Highways Works and Manual for Streets (MfS and MfS2).
- Ability to research information and data independently and ability to find solutions to complex problems.
- Sound interpersonal skills and ability to converse with a wide range of Clients and colleagues across a number of engineering disciplines.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- A willingness to work flexibly from other office locations.
- Knowledge of business models adopted in the sector and commercial and technical risks.
- Experience of client engagement and business development activities.
- Positive and practical with experience of managing resources, mentoring engineers and inspiring multidisciplinary teams to exceed client expectations.
- Knowledge gained from working within a contractor and/or client organisation.
- Hold a valid UK driving licence.
- Experience of supervising highway works contracts.
- Design & Build sector experience
We help our clients deliver their targets for economic development and housing growth, connecting communities and industry. Our Transportation team works on some of the most challenging projects of our time and transform rail and highway infrastructure.
We will value you for going beyond and exceeding our expectations so, you can look forward to fantastic rewards and development opportunities.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.