This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Atkins’ UK Transportation business brings together the capabilities of our Rail, Highway and Local Transport teams, into a single business of 3,000 talented engineering professionals transport planners and consultants. The unique breadth of services in Transportation, combined with our scale, makes Atkins the leading UK transportation infrastructure consultancy. We create a culture and environment to inspire our people, ensure collaboration with our clients and continue to shape the future of mobility.
The Transportation business covers all aspects of multidisciplinary design and management, from inception and options appraisal through to detailed design and delivery/construction support. It is our centre of excellence for the design of roads and rail infrastructure projects. We aim to be the first-choice designer for local and national roads authorities, contractors and developers.
To meet our growth ambitions, we are seeking high calibre Principal Civil Engineers (Roads and Infrastructure) in our Gloucestershire office to work on an expanding portfolio of the biggest and most challenging UK projects. Using your excellent people, technical and delivery skills, you will drive a variety of civil and structural designs for new build, renewal, maintenance and assessment works. There will also be the opportunity to work on overseas projects and with our internationally based design teams.
The successful candidate will be responsible for engaging with clients in both the delivery of projects and the development of future work as well as the mentoring and personal development of team members
We will value you for going beyond to exceed expectations and deliver innovative solutions nobody else can. After all, we can’t achieve great things without you. So, you can look forward to fantastic rewards, benefits and development opportunities.
- Chartered Engineer
- BEng or MEng in Civil Engineering
- Previous experience of working on Highways England and Local Authority Highway schemes
- Knowledge of public procurement rules including advertising in the Official Journal of the European Union (OJEU)
- Expertise and experience in all aspects of trunk roads and local authority highways design
- Experience in the preparation of draft orders and negotiation with affected parties and objectors
- A thorough comprehension of the technical standards relating to roads design with experience in identifying and seeking approvals for departures from standard
- Knowledge and appreciation of the component parts of a project with a track record of successfully delivering technically robust projects of varying values
- Expertise in standard detailing for the elements of a roads engineering project including, but not limited to those in the DMRB and HCD
- Practical working knowledge of the DMRB and associated documents including the Specification for Highway Works
- Experience of client interface in conjunction with other senior staff
- Knowledge of the relevant environmental legislation and the impact that its requirements shall have on the activities and programming of schemes
- Proven ability to advise clients on technical matters
- Proven ability to coach and develop team members including risk management, planning, monitoring and control
- A willingness to work flexibly to deliver projects to time and budget
- Extensive experience of working with local authorities as consultant or client.
- Using roads design, drainage and other software packages to deliver technically robust designs.
- Requisite skills and experience of Civils & Structural Projects;
- Experience of drainage design;
- Flexibility for occasional periods working away from normal office location, including overseas
- Project Management experience and qualifications; and
- Use of MS Office, including working knowledge of MS Project or similar.
- Providing technical guidance on roads and infrastructure projects from an up to date knowledge of engineering and the process and techniques involved in roads design and scheme development
- Assisting on technical aspects of designs from project initiation through to completion
- Working within a BIM environment and ensuring procedural compliance
- Mentoring and coaching team members and taking responsibility for the technical development of staff
- Solving engineering problems
- Developing project cost estimates
- Checking and reviewing the work of others
- Liaise with key clients and be capable of discussing design / technical solutions to stakeholders including technical and non-technical Clients
- Ensure that projects are sufficiently resourced flagging up problems and helping to resolve.
- Delegating work to team members, programming deliverables and monitoring progress.
- Identify and respond to project commercial risks and opportunities.
- Support in work winning including representing the business at networking events, preparing bids and tenders and establish, maintain and develop relationships with existing and prospective internal and external clients
- Excellent interpersonal, organisational and communication skills;
- A resourceful, articulate and clear communicator, with the ability to influence others.
- A hard working and flexible individual, who is a team player, is reliable, proactive and shows initiative whilst able to keep cool under pressure and when working to often demanding deadlines;
- Ability to lead small teams and manage work packages or elements of projects
- Self-motivated and able to work both independently as well as within a larger multi-discipline team in leading and managing packages of work to completion, within budget and to program;
- A high expectation of performance for themselves and other members of the team;
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels;
- A supportive and encouraging approach to mentoring less experienced members of the team; and
- Ability to adapt to different cultures and working environments.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Structural EngineerAre you ready to take up a vital role in shaping some of our exciting projects? How about joining our talented team, where everyone has a voice, and together we face our clients' pr
Assistant Structural EngineerAre you ready to take up a vital role in shaping some of our exciting projects? How about joining our talented team, where everyone has a voice, and together we face our c
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs