Senior Engineer – Offshore Wind Structures
Senior Engineer – Offshore Wind Structures
We are looking for an outstanding candidate to join our offshore wind structural design and analysis team within our Engineering and Consulting Services business. As a Senior Engineer in our team, you will support the delivery of our global portfolio of projects through various levels of development (conceptual, FEED and detailed design projects) for major offshore wind assets together with developing innovative solutions for repair and upgrades.
In your role, you will be responsible for guiding packages of design and evaluation work, and for guide and mentoring teams of junior engineers. You will report to both internal and external clients and have responsibility for production and sign-off of written deliverables and drawings.
You will require strong experience in structural design and analysis, with either a civil, mechanical, or structural engineering background. It is expected that you will have experience of working in accordance with engineering design codes and standards, as well as working from first principles based on a strong theoretical understanding. Strong problem-solving skills are required, as is the ability to propose and develop innovative design solutions. It is also expected that you will have a strong attention to quality control and assurance and will both lead by example and drive improvement in this area where possible. It is anticipated that the successful candidate will have specific experience relevant to fixed and/or floating offshore structures, such as offshore wind turbine substructures and offshore oil & gas structures. Whilst specific offshore wind experience is not a requirement of this role, it will be a significant advantage.
Atkins is a fast paced, innovative, and exciting environment to develop your career, that offers excellent opportunity to work on global offshore wind projects with exciting opportunities for technical and personal development. The right candidate will play a key part in maintaining our best in class reputation and be part of an integrated team.
Our Engineering and Consulting Services business is delivering engineering, design and consultancy solutions to the oil and gas, renewables, electrical generation, transmission and distribution sectors all over the world. Although your role will focus on the offshore wind market, you may also be called upon to support projects in other markets, such as supporting our industry leading work in the structural integrity management of offshore oil and gas structures. Many of our projects involve multi-disciplinary design teams, drawing on expertise from Atkins/SNC-Lavalin offices around the world, and the ability to engage proactively and constructively with colleagues from a range of backgrounds is important.
- You enjoy new challenges and are keen to learn, whilst also wanting to support others within our diverse multi-disciplinary teams. You are able to guide technical teams, understand and manage the design and inspection of offshore and subsea structures.
- You enjoy working on multiple fast-paced projects, balancing the need for high quality design and analysis with the need to deliver within required time and cost budgets.
You will also have a range of the following desirable experience and attributes:
- Engineering degree, honours or equivalent in civil, mechanical, or structural engineering, naval architecture or similar.
- Chartered with a relevant professional body (ICE, IMechE, IStructE etc.).
- Extensive experience in a relevant area of structural design or evaluation.
- Experience related to the design and analysis of offshore structures and relevant analysis tools (offshore wind and/or oil and gas).
- A thorough understanding of the design criteria relevant to offshore structures.
- Previous working experience for major offshore structures designer, consultant, OEM, developer or EPCI.
- Experience specific to offshore wind turbine foundations will be a significant advantage.
- Ability to develop design solutions that go beyond the guidance available in design codes and standards.
- An awareness of the markets/sectors relevant to offshore structures, and the market factors relevant to structural design.
- A successful track record of guiding and solving complex structural integrity and design problems and associated quality assurance.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with a proven ability to write accurate, detailed and concise technical reports (e.g. design substantiations, bases of analysis and calculations) as well as manage and enable the writing of high-quality written deliverables within your team.
- Experience of technical leadership and/or staff line management roles and responsibilities. You will be motivated to guide, motivate, mentor, teach and guide junior members of your team.
- Experience of project management aspects such as budget control, resourcing, and schedule management.
- An ability to engage closely and regularly with internal and external clients to both deliver and develop new workstreams/opportunities.
- Experience of engaging with certifying bodies and responding to robust technical challenge from certification bodies, clients, or stakeholders.
- Experience in presenting your work at workshops or conferences, such that you can confidently represent/promote the group’s technical capabilities to a broad audience.
Additional Information :
This position is based in our Bristol office; however, we support flexible working arrangements and can discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements. We are also often looking to fill similar roles in our Epsom, London, Edinburgh, and Aberdeen offices. Travel to other company and client sites may occasionally be necessary as part of the role.
Please refer to our website for full details of our benefits package, which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days paid annual leave.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment.
We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
At Atkins, we invest in people as one of the world’s leading engineering and design consultancies. Our philosophy is to help our people navigate a career path which enables them to achieve their ambitions. We offer flexible, rewarding work packages tailored towards career progression, which are founded on the principles of growth, ambition and excellence.
Our global Resources business is delivering engineering, design and consultancy solutions to the oil and gas, renewables, electrical generation, transmission and distribution sectors all over the world. People join us because they share a desire to be at the forefront of the energy sector and deliver outstanding projects. We empower our people to be the professional individuals they want to be, working on projects they feel proud of, making a difference to the world they live in and the legacy they leave behind.
With the COVID-19 pandemic, 2020 has been unprecedented in the challenges that the world and the offshore industry has faced. Despite these challenges, the industry remains a key sector to deliver global climate targets and to provide low carbon energy for future generations, and as such we are delighted to re-start our recruitment campaign to attract the best talent into Atkins.
The past few months have also highlighted what a truly global business we are, with our use of digital collaboration platforms enabling globally diverse teams to continue delivering for our clients no matter where staff are based. Our well-established flexible working practices and digital approach have proven that having a positive work life balance is achievable even in the most challenging of times, making Atkins a great place to develop your career. Although the future remains uncertain, the tools, systems and support available to you upon joining will enable a successful, remote induction into the business and will enhance your ability to work flexibly and remotely if required.
Atkins’ offshore engineering capability dates back to the 1970’s and we have been at the forefront of the market ever since. Building on our legacy of work in the oil and gas sector, we have successfully transferred many of our skills onto a growing number of fixed and floating offshore renewables projects. Atkins has been contributing to the expansion of the offshore wind sector in the UK and beyond since the early 2000s, and now has an extensive portfolio of installed and operational projects around the world. In addition to design projects, Atkins supports the full lifecycle of offshore wind projects from initial site selection and layout, through concept and detailed design, to asset management, life extension and decommissioning. This role provides an opportunity to join this successful team in an exciting and growing market.
We are looking for an outstanding candidate to join our offshore wind structural design and analysis team within our Engineering and Consulting Services business. As a Graduate Engineer or Assistant E
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs