Senior Environment Manager (HS2)
SNC Lavalin's Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. Our proven track record in delivering complex solutions is made possible by the collective breadth and depth of expertise, experience and resources of our people and businesses around the world. We build long-term trusted partnerships to create a world where lives are enriched through the implementation of our ideas.
Atkins (with CH2M and Sener) is the Engineering Delivery Partner for HS2 Ltd. There is a requirement for a Senior Environment Manager to be seconded into HS2 to manage and lead the environmental design elements of a section of the proposed railway corridor from London to the West Midlands in accordance with the HS2’s organisational requirements, environmental commitments, environmental law and regulation. The post holder will be employed by Atkins Ltd and will be seconded full time into the HS2 Ltd offices in Birmingham.
The role reports to the HS2 Area Head of Environment and will require interface with the other two Senior Environmental Managers within the Delivery Area, as well as Senior Environment Managers from adjacent Delivery Areas
The successful candidate will work alongside a team of other specialists and consultants engaged on the project and will liaise with a range of technical stakeholders, including statutory bodies to develop appropriate and cost balanced mitigation strategies and solutions and play an integral role in reducing the detrimental impact of the developing scheme on the environment.
Key responsibilities include:
- Leading on environmental design requirements and deliverables, working in close association with the HS2 Ltd Technical Directorate’s Environmental and Engineering Specialists.
- Providing leadership for environmental design solutions and ensure environmental issues and constraints are key considerations in project design.
- Working collaboratively with technical specialists including engineers, construction experts, architects and environmental specialists to achieve world class integrated designs and develop appropriate and cost balanced mitigation strategies and solutions.
- Reviewing and critically appraising deliverables produced by consultants to ensure that the environmental design for the route area complies with the organisation technical and sponsor requirements, environmental commitments environmental law and regulation.
- Liaising with technical stakeholders via various different forums to obtain information to inform the development of the design and to ensure the stakeholder’s environmental requirements are understood
- Managing consultants appointed to undertake environmental design in order to input on the environmental and sustainability aspects and ensure compliance with the Environmental Minimum Requirements and other environmental legal requirements
On completion of the secondment, opportunities would exist to be based in an Atkins office and provide support to other Atkins’ infrastructure projects where you would work collaboratively with a range of technical specialists input to the design and construction phases of a range of infrastructure projects.
In joining Atkins you would join a team of over 300 environmental professionals located across the country, working with a wide range of client interests within the public and private sectors to deliver an exciting range of high profile infrastructure projects such as HS2, Smart Motorways, East West Rail, Horizon Nuclear Power and water utility projects.
- Degree or Masters qualified in a relevant environmental discipline
- Experienced in the specification, preparation and coordination of fee proposals for environmental work.
- Chartered, or on route to becoming chartered, with a relevant professional institute. Experience of leading on environmental assessment and design on large or complex infrastructure/engineering projects
- Experience in project direction/management of complex projects and financial management of projects, including procurement processes
- Demonstrable project management skills and strong experience working with multidisciplinary teams on a range of projects.
- Proven knowledge of UK Environment legislation, and current best practice guidance
- An EIA and/or environmental management background
- Strong numeracy, written and verbal communication skills and the aptitude to rationally explain, explore and discuss environmental issues
- Strong IT skills and proven working ability to use Office based software, including Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, coupled with an aptitude towards learning and utilising new software in the office environment (training will be provided in the use of the internal document management systems). A good understanding of GIS, SharePoint and eB is also desirable.
- Able to work within a team and motivate others to deliver to high standards, on time and to budget.
- Able to prioritise and work effectively under pressure
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Our Latest Articles