Senior Environmental Consultant
We are looking for a self-motivated and dynamic Senior Environmental Consultant to join our team in Birmingham. The role will involve managing and input into environmental assessments for public and private sector clients and environmental management of large infrastructure projects. As such we are seeking to recruit an individual with a proven track record of working on large schemes, with experience of EIA and environmental management.
Working collaboratively with a range of in-house technical specialists, you will manage, coordinate and provide technical input to Environmental Impacts Assessments, as well as undertaking Environmental Management tasks for a variety of projects.
You will be a strong team player with first-class organisational and communication skills and have a keen eye for detail. A sound understanding of relevant UK environmental legislation and a broad knowledge of all the technical disciplines required for an EIA is essential. This will be combined with an ability to work successfully with project teams to influence the delivery of optimal environmental outcomes on projects. You will also have the necessary experience and ability to contribute towards achieving the targets of the business with regards to business development, business delivery and work winning.
You will be responsible for achieving targets with regards to business development, business delivery and work winning.
Atkins, a member of SNC Lavalin is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. Our proven track record in delivering complex solutions is made possible by the collective breadth and depth of expertise, experience and resources of our people and businesses around the world.
You will join a team of over 60 EIA and environmental coordinators located across the UK and Ireland, working to deliver an exciting range of high profile infrastructure projects. Key clients include: DfT HS2; EastWestRail; Highways England, The Environment Agency and Local Authorities. We also have an extensive portfolio of private development clients.
This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced environmentalist holding relevant work experience who is seeking a new career in this fast paced and exciting industry. The successful applicant should be stimulated by fresh challenges and seek to surmount them in a practical way.
- Set the scope, coordinate, check and review the work of others.
- Competently undertake own work to an excellent standard; on time and to budget.
- Support and develop more junior staff.
- Represent the company well and continue to build personal and company reputation.
- Develop and maintain relationships across the organisation to ensure we position ourselves well within the market and assemble technically excellent project teams
- Maintain continual professional development in accordance with requirements of chosen professional institute
- Experienced in the coordination and delivery of environmental work being undertaken by multi-disciplinary teams, including: EIA; options appraisals and iterative design processes; and environmental management.
- Project management experience
- Experience of coordinating EIA for infrastructure projects in the road, rail, water or energy sectors.
- Able to check and review complex documents, summarise and present the key issues in a clear and concise way, understandable to non-specialists.
- Strong interpersonal skills to contribute towards strengthening existing or developing new relationships with clients.
- Aptitude in identification, progression, delivery and success in tendering for new work opportunities.
- Able to work within a team and motivate others to deliver to high standards, on time and to budget.
- Ability to assess any adverse impact on the environment;
- Carries out environmental audits and environmental impact assessments;
- Communicates scientific and technical information to relevant audiences in an appropriate form, via reports, workshops, educational events, public hearings;
- Assists the organisation to conduct their activities in an environmentally appropriate manner;
- Implements, reviews and advises on regulatory and legislative standards, guidelines and policies;
- Provides professional guidance to clients, government agencies, regulators and other relevant bodies, having regard for sustainable approaches and solutions.
- Degree and Masters qualified in an environmental or science subject.
- Have achieved a competent standard in own area of technical environmental specialism and broadened their awareness of other environmental disciplines
- Flexible, adaptable and prepared to take on new challenges and work from other Atkins or client office locations
- Proven record of project and/or team management
- Chartered, with a relevant professional institute.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions such as RTPI, LI, ICE, CIEEM, CIWEM, CIEEM and IEMA.
Rewards and Benefits:
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.