Senior Environmental Consultant
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins business is one of the world’s leading engineering, design and project management consultancies; we have the breadth and depth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time critical infrastructure projects.
Our Contaminated Land & Hydrogeology (CL&H) Practice is a well-established, award winning, multi-disciplinary environmental and engineering practice with an extensive portfolio of regeneration and development projects. Our technical expertise and highly skilled team has been recently recognised at the Brownfield Briefing Awards (2018 & 2019), winning awards for Best Digital Innovation in Brownfield, Best Urban Regeneration Project, Infrastructure Project of the Year and Brownfield Project of the Year, as well as being highly commended in the Best Project Closure/Verification Process and Best Biodiversity Enhancement categories.
CL&H provides support to a number of the largest UK-based and international infrastructure projects; examples include Crossrail, eight2o, Thames Tideway, Humber Crossing, East West Rail and London 2012 legacy development. In addition, we work on a number of national frameworks with some of the UK’s most knowledgeable clients managing land contamination liabilities on complex and challenging brownfield sites. Our client and project base is highly diverse, working with public and private sector clients on projects in the nuclear new build sector, oil and gas sector, regeneration and redevelopment of brownfield land, and major road, rail and aviation infrastructure projects.
We are currently looking to appoint a confident individual to join our growing our national CL&H Practice, with this position based from our London, Epsom or Cambridge offices.
The vacancy is for someone who:
- is confident working in a team and independently;
- has experience of organisation and management of contaminated land site investigations and qualitative / quantitative risk assessment;
- is looking to develop their project management skills, including responsibility for technical delivery, management of finances, client liaison and programme delivery; and
- combines excellent organisational, technical, numerical and communication skills to demonstrate logical thinking and concise reporting.
- As a member of our team you will be involved in range of projects, working with our experienced staff to deliver excellence to our clients, and will work closely with a wide range of other professionals to deliver holistic solutions to environmental and engineering problems.
- Project management of a wide variety of projects ensuring delivery on time, within budget and to high technical standards.
- Liaison with clients, stakeholders, regulators, sub-contractors and other internal disciplines.
- Preparation of proposals and input into bids for multi-disciplinary infrastructure projects.
- Manging small project teams and directing site staff (from the office).
- Working with the local and wider Atkins team across the UK.
- Degree qualified in a relevant science or engineering subject (e.g. geology, geotechnics, hydrogeology, chemistry, environmental science).
- Masters qualified in a relevant specialism preferred, but not essential.
- Chartered Membership of relevant professional body (if not Chartered, we would expect the candidate, with our support, to become chartered within 12 months after joining).
- A minimum of 6 years relevant post-graduate experience (ideally within a consultancy environment) able to demonstrate a good understanding of land contamination/brownfield land issues, and experience in undertaking Phase 1 Desk Studies and Phase 2 Site Investigations.
- Experience of technical report writing and ability to complete technical reports (under guidance, as required) to an acceptable technical quality.
- Experience of project management and development of bids.
- Knowledge and understanding of conceptual site models and the qualitative/semi-quantitative risk assessment process for controlled waters, human health and property receptors.
- Good working knowledge and demonstrable understanding of the relevant legislation, technical guidance and industry standards and best practice for contaminated land and waste.
- Human health and/or controlled waters risk assessment background.
- Knowledge and understanding of detailed quantitative risk assessments, and/or remediation design and verification.
- Knowledge and experience of NEC3 contracts.
- Knowledge and experience of gasworks sites.
We welcome the opportunity to discuss a flexible working pattern and flexible working locations for this vacancy. For roles advertised under the category of flexible working we would encourage you to explore the flexible working options we are able to offer during the interview process.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. Atkins recognises a range of career development paths and supports individuals to navigate through and across these providing opportunities that meet the most ambitious of aspirations. We offer a certified training Academy to develop staff to achieve Chartership within their chosen technical career and a professionals programme to ensure senior staff continue to develop their expertise. Staff development objectives are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process, the outcome of which is a tailored and personal development plan for each member of our team
We actively support staff in achieving and maintaining corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Our Latest Articles