Senior Environmental Consultant
SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins Business is one of the worlds leading Design, Engineering and Project Management Consultancies. We have the breadth and depth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time critical infrastructure projects.
The Contaminated Land & Hydrogeology (CLAH) Practice within Atkins is a well-established, award winning, multi-disciplinary, environmental and engineering practice with an extensive portfolio of regeneration and development projects and a highly skilled team; notably with staff winning various awards over the past years.
Our Practice provides support to a number of the UK’s largest infrastructure projects as well as a number of national frameworks with some of the UK’s most knowledgeable clients servicing a range of complex and challenging brownfield sites. Our Warrington team has considerable experience working with private clients / developers on the investigation, assessment, remediation and redevelopment of brownfield land as well as servicing internal teams for road, rail and other infrastructure projects.
We currently have opportunities for Senior/ Principal Environmental Consultants / Scientists / Engineers to join our growing team in Warrington and support our expanding project workload and client base. The work involves local, national and international projects being delivered by Atkins across a range of exciting markets, including the development of Cities, Transportation and Energy Infrastructure.
We are looking for highly motivated, experienced and adaptable individuals with developed technical, project management and client management skills; a good working knowledge of contaminated land, risk assessments and brownfield land regeneration; experience of regulatory engagement; and capable of delivering the high standard of geo-environmental consultancy services for which Atkins is renowned. You should be proactive, confident and ambitious with excellent communication, writing and presentational skills.
- Project Management and the technical delivery of a wide variety of projects ensuring delivery on time, within budget and to high standards.
- Providing technical guidance, constructive support and mentoring to junior staff and supporting their technical development.
- Liaison with clients, stakeholders, regulators, sub-contractors and other internal disciplines.
- Supporting senior management in developing new business and the preparation of commercial offers.
- Working with the local and wider Atkins team across the UK.
- Continue to develop own competence and maintain CPD with support from the business.
- MEng, MSc, BEng (Hons), or BSc (Hons) in a relevant science or engineering subject (e.g. geology, geotechnics, hydrogeology, chemistry, environmental science).
- Chartered (or actively working towards chartership) with a relevant professional body. If not Chartered, we would expect the candidate, with our support, to become chartered 6 to 12 months after joining.
- Demonstrate a proven track record in contaminated land with knowledge and experience in Phase 1 Desk Studies, Phase 2 Site Investigations, options appraisals, and remediation design, supervision and verification / validation for a range of different types of projects and clients.
- Experience of project management resulting in delivery to high standards, including managing project teams and knowledge and experience in the contractual, commercial and financial aspects of consultancy projects.
- Good working knowledge and demonstrable understanding of the relevant legislation, technical guidance and industry standards and best practice for contaminated land and waste.
- Be able to mentor junior staff and technically check their work.
- Full UK driving licence.
- Experience and knowledge of gasworks, defence and/or nuclear related land contamination sites.
- Experience and knowledge of working with developer clients.
- Experience and knowledge of NEC3 contracts.
We welcome the opportunity to discuss a flexible working pattern for this vacancy. For roles advertised under the category of flexible working we would encourage you to explore the flexible working options we are able to offer during the interview process.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. Atkins recognises a range of career development paths and supports individuals to navigate through and across these providing opportunities that meet the most ambitious of aspirations. We offer training to develop staff to achieve Chartership within their chosen technical career and a professionals programme to ensure senior staff continue to develop their expertise. Staff development objectives are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process, the outcome of which is a tailored and personal development plan for each member of our team.
Atkins also invests in the core technical disciplines that comprise our business with established technical network forums for contaminated land and brownfield regeneration which drives knowledge sharing, staff development and innovation across our practice and broader business.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package. https://www.yourrewardatkins.com/
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
Our Latest Articles