Senior Environmental Consultant (Nuclear)
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Job Title: Senior Environmental Consultant (Nuclear)
Nuclear power has a critical role to play in the UK achieving its ambitious net zero carbon target by 2050. In pursuit of this, our Nuclear and Power business seeks to support the ongoing operation of the current UK nuclear power plants, leading and developing solutions to their most technically demanding challenges. The business also enables affordable nuclear new build by leveraging our influence as the UK’s leading nuclear partner to achieve innovative solutions and delivery efficiency.
Do you want to be part of the most interesting projects in the heart of the Nuclear New build industry? Are you a qualified environmental professional with exceptional relationship building skills and are you someone who thrives in an exciting project environment on a global platform? This could be the ideal opportunity for you to join the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancy.
In the Energy sector, SNC Lavalin has an exceptional reputation for delivering innovative and cost-efficient solutions to some of the world's most technically challenging problems.
We support the whole life cycle of the nuclear industry, building the next generation of nuclear power stations, keeping the current fleet operational and helping to solve the decommissioning challenge.
Across the UK and the globe there are difficult issues to overcome to create a sustainable energy supply and this is a great opportunity to make a positive difference to people's lives and the environment.
Be that difference. Only brilliant minds can solve the world's energy challenges. At SNC Lavalin you'll find the best place to apply yours.
About About the Team
It is an exciting time at SNC Lavalin with opportunities from concept design of new reactor technology and fusion power to the licensing and construction of new-build power stations within the UK and overseas; as a result, we are looking for environment and radioactive waste specialists with experience of working in the UK nuclear industry to join our growing Nuclear New Build Environment team based at our office in Aztec West (North Bristol).
What you’ll be doing
You will be working on a variety of technical projects within a team of nuclear environmental specialists and engineers. As part of this, you will have the opportunity to support our UK clients by providing specialist advice and environmental and waste management documentation required under the Nuclear Site Licence and Environmental Permit Conditions. You will also have the opportunity to apply your UK industry knowledge to overseas projects and to international clients operating within the UK industry.
The role will allow you to develop technical and project skills through targeted training, on the job experience, mentoring and continual professional development and you will also be able to develop your management skills by leading other team members within a project-based environment.
You’ll need to have
You’ll need to have (Technical):
• Degree qualified in environmental science, engineering or other relevant technical discipline;
• Chartered or working towards chartership with a relevant professional body;
• A sufficient level of experience working within the nuclear industry, with knowledge and expertise in one or more of the following areas:
• Environmental Permitting (especially Radioactive Substances Regulation), including understanding of radioactive discharges/disposals and prospective radiological dose modelling
• Compliance with Nuclear Site License Conditions under the Nuclear Installations Act 1965
• Environmental assessment studies e.g. BAT and EIA
• Development and implementation of waste management strategies
• Waste characterization and inventory
• Nuclear dismantling and decontamination
• Hazardous waste management (WM3)
• Radioactive waste and spent fuel storage
You’ll need to have (Non-technical):
• Good communication and presentation skills.
• Experience of liaising directly with stakeholders (including regulators) and clients.
• Ability to communicate effectively with a range of internal / external stakeholders.
• Commercial and project awareness.
• Ability to work alone or as part of a team.
• Ability to travel to other company sites where required.
• Management of staff, client liaison, project management and bid development experience also advantageous.
• RWA accreditation would be advantageous but not essential at this stage.
• Hands-on experience at a nuclear licensed site would be advantageous but not essential.
This is an exciting time for us, we are diversifying our portfolio to become a more global organization, while also continuing to grow our Energy sector in the UK. There will be opportunities for international travel and applicants with a desire for non-UK based assignments will be welcomed.
Successful candidates will be required to undergo a security vetting process and offers of employment will be subject to relevant security clearance being granted.
We develop individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house as well as external training for all our staff.
Atkins is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career in engineering, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
- Reward & Benefits:
Please refer to our website for full details of our benefits package, which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days paid annual leave.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.