Senior Fatigue and Fracture Engineer
Are you looking for your next opportunity in Fracture Mechanics and Fatigue?
Would you like to lead Fracture Mechanics and Fatigue engineering consultancy work for all types of offshore structures? If so, we'd love you to apply for this role.
Within the Engineering and Consulting business we provide services across a wide range of disciplines and applications in the Oil & Gas and Offshore Wind markets covering fixed and floating offshore structures, terminals, refineries, petrochemical plants and pipelines. Atkins has worked on over 1,000 Oil and Gas Installations with substantial involvement in overseas projects. We work on some of the most exciting and varied, including integrity management of offshore installations, front end studies, detailed design and offshore repairs.
Our operation in Central London supports projects focused on the design and operation of fixed and floating offshore structures in the Oil & Gas and Offshore Wind markets. Atkins is at the forefront of providing offshore Structural Integrity Management services, delivering innovative solutions to managing the integrity of offshore assets.
We are looking for Engineers who are adaptable to a diverse work load and able to understand the changing requirements and priorities in order to provide practical solutions to our clients’ challenges of managing ageing assets and pushing the boundaries of new designs.
As a senior member of the team you will be involved in leading Fatigue and Fracture assessments for all types of offshore structures including fixed, floating, topsides and subsea and will also be responsible for developing and maintaining client relationships and contributing to the management and professional development of the team.
You’ll develop and maintain awareness of changes in the relevant technology and assessment tools, as well as managing cost and time targets to deliver high quality integrity management services to our clients and supporting in the preparation of pre-qualification responses, proposals and tenders. The role also provides the opportunity for survey visits to onshore and offshore client sites.
With excellent communication, stakeholder management and influencing skills, you will be able to build relationships effectively and assist in winning work from new and existing clients.
Comfortable at leading tasks, you are keen to support, mentor and develop the capability of the team. You are also a motivator and take personal responsibility in achieving the best from the team to ensure client satisfaction. You are comfortable and adaptable to working in new and changing environments. You have good attention to detail and are able to make judgements under pressure.
You have a strong background in leading integrity assessments with the following qualifications and experience:
- An engineering degree, honours or equivalent, in mechanical, structural, civil, naval architecture or similar.
- Educated to Ph.D. level or equivalent industrial experience with a specialism in fracture mechanics and/or fatigue of steel structures and components.
- Chartered Engineer with a recognised engineering institution
- Leading integrity assessments and engineering consultancy work including:
- Carrying out fracture mechanics and crack growth assessments using BS7910, R6, FITNET, API 579 etc.
- Carrying out fatigue assessments using DNVGL-RP-C203, BS7608 etc
- Developing inspection requirements for structures based on detailed analysis, including Risk Based Inspection (RBI)
- Engaging with inspection and practical remedial works
- Writing high quality engineering reports and communicating results and recommendations
The following additional experience is desirable:
- Offshore integrity assessment and analysis experience
- Fracture and fatigue testing
- Understanding the statistical nature of fatigue and its quantification
- Understanding of offshore environmental loading
- Offshore structural analysis experience (linear and non-linear) – particularly SESAM, USFOS and ABAQUS
- Experience with cracked body finite element analysis
- Experience of residual stress testing or modelling
- Knowledge of welding, inspection techniques, metallurgy and corrosion
About Atkins, part of the SNC-Lavalin group
This is an exciting time for Atkins, we are diversifying our portfolio to become a more global organisation. This promises to offer unprecedented career opportunities to our staff whilst we continue to grow our existing business units. For both Atkins and SNC-Lavalin, we continue to invest in people. Without the technical excellence of some 50,000 staff we would not be one of the world’s leading engineering and design consultancies. Our philosophy is to help our people navigate a career path which enables them to achieve their ambitions. We offer flexible, rewarding work packages tailored towards career progression, which are founded on the principles of growth, ambition and excellence.
Our Engineering and Consulting business is delivering engineering, design and consultancy solutions to the Oil & Gas and Offshore Wind sectors all over the world. Merging original thinking with our experience from 60 years in the energy industry, we help transform the potential of existing infrastructure as well as new resource sand technology. We listen and lead across boundaries, bringing lessons learned from one industry or discipline to another to help realise our client’s vision. We deliver what we say we will, building relationships based on trust and integrity: there when we’re needed, fast; committed for the long term; adapting to changes and leaning into challenges.
People join us because they share a desire to be at the forefront of the energy sector and deliver outstanding projects. We empower our people to be the professional individuals they want to be, working on projects they feel proud of, making a difference to the world they live in and the legacy they leave behind.
Training and Development
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
- Travel to other company sites may be necessary
- Offshore survey visits may be required occasionally
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
Our Latest Articles