Senior FEMA/Water Resources Engineer
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Alexandria, Virginia or Calverton, Maryland office as a Senior FEMA/Water Resources Engineer.
- As a Senior Water Resources Engineer, the applicant will support activities related to the FEMA National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
- The applicant will complete new hydrologic and hydraulic (H&H) analyses that conform to NFIP guidelines and specifications. Floodplain mapping will be completed using the results from the hydraulic analyses along with digital terrain data. These tasks will involve the use of various H&H engineering software as well as Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software. Engineering databases, reports, and work maps will be developed and completed by the applicant.
- The applicant will review submitted flood insurance revisions and evaluate submitted engineering H&H analyses to ensure that the analyses are technically accurate and that the revisions comply with FEMA NFIP regulations.
- The applicant will complete quality control reviews and oversee H&H analyses completed by junior engineers.
- The applicant will serve as a technical resource for junior engineers and will provide mentorship and supervision.
- In addition to the tasks listed above, the applicant will also complete and/or assist with other various engineering projects related to water resources and civil engineering. These projects may include, but are not limited to, storm water planning and design, watershed master plans, and transportation drainage plans.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- B.S. in Civil Engineering (preferably with a specialization in Water Resources). 5-10 years of work experience.
- Good interpersonal skills and capable of developing technical writing, and communications skills. Knowledge and experience with HEC-RAS, HEC-HMS, ArcGIS, SWMM, and AutoCAD, is required. 2-D hydraulic modeling experience preferred.
- P.E. registration required.
- CFM preferred.
General Competencies expected of all Professionals and Managers are as follows: Client Service, Commitment, Communication, Innovation & Continuous Improvement, Professionalism, Quality, and Teamwork.
Ability to process paper/electronic documents and utilize computer equipment; ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing; ability to visit project sites if necessary. Job also requires ability to plan, prioritize and review project plans and documents, evaluate alternatives, and devise appropriate solutions.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Atkins will not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, headhunters, contract recruiters, search firms or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate, Atkins explicitly reserves the right to recruit and hire those candidate(s) at its discretion, and without any financial obligation whatsoever to the recruiter or agency. Any such unsolicited resume or candidate contact information, including those submitted directly to Atkins hiring managers or any other employee, shall become the property of Atkins upon receipt.
Our Latest Articles