Senior FEMA/ Water Resources Engineer
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Raleigh, NC Water Resource Group as a Senior Water Resources Engineer.
Atkins is seeking an experienced, self-motivated Water Resources Engineer with a background in Water Resources Engineering, a specialty in Hydraulic Modeling and 5-10+ years' experience. The Water Resources Group projects range from flood studies, floodplain modeling and mapping, dam and dyke breach analysis, drainage improvements to storm drain design, structure crossings inspections and analysis (BSR/CSRs), and stream/outfall restoration. This position will provide technical assistance for multiple geographical areas, with occasional travel and online coordination with water resources staff throughout the United States and globally.
- Hydrologic and Hydraulic modeling using software including WinTR-55/TR-20, HEC-RAS and HEC-HMS. Experience with modeling software such as HEC-RAS2D, TUFLOW2D, XPSWMM, SRH-2D, ICPR and/or other 2D software a big plus. Experience with Microstation and Geopak drainage is also desired but not required.
- Preparation of technical analysis studies and reports and presentation to clients/public.
- Collection and analysis of field data, as-built plans and engineering reports to establish existing conditions and identify critical areas for design criteria.
- Design of stormwater management systems for water quality and quantity control.
- Preparation of drainage, soil erosion and sediment control, utility relocation, right-of-way, staging and construction plans, specifications and engineering estimates for water resources and transportation projects.
- Dam inspection and hazard classification analysis; experience here is a plus.
- Working knowledge of Federal, State and local jurisdiction design standards and permitting regulations a big plus.
- Technical mentoring, management and development of junior design and engineering staff, commensurate with experience.
- Technical training and enrichment, conference attendance/presentation.
- Development of client marketing skills.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- B.S. or M.S. in Civil Engineering (preferably with a focus in Water Resources). M.S. or graduate level technical coursework preferred. This level may be achieved by Engineers with seven years of experience since B.S. or 6 years since M.S. Typical incumbent has ten to fourteen years of experience.
- P.E. license is required.
- The successful candidate must have a strong understanding of Hydrologic and Hydraulic principles and practices.
- The candidate must have strong interpersonal and communications skills.
- Experience with multiple hydraulic analysis platforms/models as noted above.
- FEMA Floodplain coordination and permitting experience a plus.
- Ability to gain Professional Engineer reciprocity in multiple states is preferred.
General Competencies expected of all Professionals and Managers are as follows: Client Service, Commitment, Communication, Innovation & Continuous Improvement, Professionalism, Quality, and Teamwork.
Ability to process paper/electronic documents and utilize computer equipment; ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing; ability to visit project sites if necessary. Job also requires ability to plan, prioritize and review project plans and documents, evaluate alternatives, and devise appropriate solutions.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Our Latest Articles