Senior Field Technician
SNC-Lavalin GEM Ontario Inc. is a member of SNC-Lavalin group of Companies, a major driver of the engineering industry in Canada, and one of the largest engineering and construction groups in the world.
SNC-Lavalin GEM Ontario Inc. specializes in materials engineering (soil, concrete, shotcrete and asphalt), geotechnical and geo-environmental engineering as well as pavement engineering. We currently employ 90 professionals, technicians and support staff combined between our Vaughan (GTA) and Kingston locations.
We are currently providing engineering services for several major municipal, provincial and transit projects in GTA including Eglinton Crosstown Light Rail Transit, and seeking Senior Field Technicians and Senior Technologists to join the team in the Vaughan office on fulltime permanent roles.
This role would be to support the Eglinton Crosstown LRT, which is a 19km light rail transit (LRT) line being constructed from Kennedy Station to Weston Road in Toronto, Canada.
The Senior Field Technician will be responsible for supporting all aspects of quality control/quality assurance testing process in the field at various infrastructure project locations. Under the supervision of project managers, supervisors or scheduling coordinators, the Senior Field Technician’s main responsibilities are (but not limited to):
- Inspect the quality of construction and construction materials (soils, aggregates, concrete, shotcrete, asphalt, sealant and membrane)
- Monitor placement of various construction materials and workmanship
- Review contract drawings and specifications
- Report any non-conformance concerns to the management.
- Execute quality control tests in the field on construction materials.
- Prepare and collect samples for laboratory testing.
- Perform compaction testing by Nuclear Densometer.
- Test plastic concrete on site and cast samples for compressive testing.
- Test shotcrete for tunneling on site and cast specimens for flexural testing
- Asphalt & concrete coring for thickness and material composition investigations.
- Ensure accuracy of test data.
- Perform visual inspections of roadways, utilities.
- Bridge deck waterproofing inspections.
- Soils inspections & proof rolling.
- Write quality control inspection and test reports
- Liaison with clients and contractors and participate at site meetings.
- Educate and train new staff.
- Maintain testing equipment in good condition.
- Maintain calibration of equipment.
- College diploma in Civil Engineering (an asset).
- Must have Min. 5 years of pertinent experience.
- Interested in teamwork, autonomous, and organized.
- Good physical condition.
- Valid driver’s license and owner of a vehicle which may be used to travel to and from site.
- Mobility to work out of town when needed.
- Available to work on different shifts and schedules.
- Available to work on weekends on short notice.
- CCIL/CSA Certification for Asphalt or Concrete is an asset (candidates will be given first considerations).
- General knowledge of soil classification.
- Knowledge of ASTM/CSA/MTO LS test procedures.
- Attention to detail and problem solving.
- Ability to adapt to changing work conditions and schedules on short notice.
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions – including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance – to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. On July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. http://www.snclavalin.com
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.