Senior Geotechnical Engineer/Engineering Geologist (Warrington/Leeds/Glasgow)
We have a great opportunity in our Warrington or office for an ambitious Principal/Senior Geotechnical Engineer to join our experienced and dynamic team to help deliver a range of projects primarily in the infrastructure sector (roads, rail, water and commercial / industrial development). This is a fantastic opportunity to take a leading role in the ground engineering input to some of our most challenging projects. As one of the UK’s leading Geotechnical consultancies Atkins offers a comprehensive service in Ground Technology. With more than 300 professionals, Atkins’ geotechnical reputation is built on the skills, excellence and commitment of our people in all aspects of geotechnical engineering. Atkins has an impressive current portfolio of prestigious geotechnical projects in the UK and internationally we need to increase our resources to meet the growing demands from our clients, especially in the infrastructure sector.RequirementsThe successful applicant will be a Senior/Principal Geotechnical Engineer with a proven technical, commercial and project management track record. They will have a degree in civil engineering or geology with a post graduate qualification in a geotechnical subject and hold chartered status as either a civil engineer or geologist.Candidates should have the right flare and ability that will help us develop and expand our infrastructure geotechnics capability by building on the existing portfolio of our rapidly expanding, flexible and outward looking team that can tackle work across a broad spectrum of sectors.Candidates should have:
- Extensive experience in one or more of the following sectors: highways, rail or water geotechnics
- A strong academic background with a relevant degree, MSc or equivalent
- Chartered status as a Civil Engineer or Geologist
- Proven experience of acting as a Principal/Senior Geotechnical engineer in a fast-moving engineering consultancy environment
- Strong geotechnical design skills and ability to assess complex problems and deliver appropriate solutions
- Excellent interpersonal and technical skills and the ability to develop and lead geotechnical design, delivering schemes to a high technical standard on time and within budget
- Excellent communication skills and confidence to liaise with and develop long term relationships with clients at the highest level to ensure the commercial and technical success of projects.
- Excellent report writing skills with the ability to self-check and produce accurate work
- A flair for innovation
- Project management - Experience and understanding of the needs and approaches to the engineering consultancy and design markets, including relationships with clients, work planning and commercial management
- The candidate should be able to operate as a sub-project manager within Atkins, and as Atkins project manager for external clients.
- A willingness to travel on short assignments both within the UK and overseas
- A valid driving licence.
Training and Development:
The learning and development experience in our Ground Engineering team is different to that at most other companies. Here we thoroughly recognise the importance of our people and we invest for the long term to provide them with the technical, commercial and managerial expertise they need throughout their career.
At Atkins our staff continue to learn and develop irrespective of their position or experience.Our investment includes our acclaimed technical conferences, regular presentations and discussion groups, field trips, bespoke training courses as well as active on the job mentoring.
We also have our Ground Engineering Academy to provide structured support and encouragement to staff in their progression to chartership.
Fulfilling learning and development experiences include the opportunity for international assignments in a variety of countries.
We have also increased our investment even further by launching our Ground Engineering Professionals Programme, facilitating strong professional development to match the passion and skills of our talented people Post-Cartership.
We welcome the opportunity to discuss a flexible working pattern for this vacancy. For roles advertised under the category of flexible working we would encourage you to explore the flexible working options we are able to offer during the interview process.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance