Senior Highway Designer
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years.
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
- Typical duties may involve, depending on service, conceptual and final design of Highway and Rodway projects.
- Researches, recommends and presents alternate design approaches based upon client request, governmental code requirements and other needs.
- Performs and supervises designs utilizing CAD.
- Coordinates, monitors and oversees design completion, permit applications, material quantities and cost estimates performed by junior designers and technicians.
- Assists junior professionals in making design decisions.
- Checks and reviews the design work of less experienced junior professionals and designers.
- May write specifications, feasibility studies, plans and preliminary reports.
- Organizes or directs field visits to collect data or resolve design conflicts.
- May train less experienced junior professionals, designers and CAD technicians as required.
- Performs such other duties as the Supervisor may from time to time deem necessary.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Architecture or equivalent technical discipline plus fifteen years' experience, or Associate's degree plus a minimum of twenty years' progressive drafting and design experience, including at least twelve as a Designer, or HS diploma (or equivalent) plus a minimum of twenty five years progressive drafting and design experience, including at least fifteen as a Designer.
- Proficiency in CAD, MicroStation and Open Roads strongly desired; good technical writing and communication skills.
- Proficient in AutoCAD Civil 3D is preferred, but not required
- Design build experience as a lead designer / modeler is a plus.
- Proficient in CDOT plans and specifications is a plus.
- No professional registration is required; however, incumbent should be seeking applicable registration if movement onto the Engineering or Architecture career path is contemplated.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Our Latest Articles