Senior Highways Engineer - Improvements
Atkins, Balfour Beatty and Egis Road Operations UK are part of a consortium, creating Connect Plus Services, a unique partnership with a collective strength in highways asset care from finance, through to design, build, maintenance as well as day to day operation.
As part of our 30-year remit to manage and improve the capital’s orbital motorway network, we deliver major improvement projects, such widening 38 miles of the M25, refurbishing tunnels and bridges, and installing hundreds of variable messaging signs and gantries, helping to maximise the use of the network and deliver more reliable journeys. We also manage the Dartford River crossing, and operate and maintain 440 kilometres of motorway providing our customer and road user with a world-class highway service.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
We are currently looking for a Senior Highways Engineer - Improvements to join us to work in Leatherhead.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Manage resources within highways and other design or support disciplines to deliver the agreed outcomes.
• Manage external resources to deliver the agreed outcomes.
• Report on resourcing issues and contribute information to allow a forward resource plan to be produced and maintained.
• Allocate tasks to other supporting members of the Highways team and oversee delivery and report on resourcing issues.
• Agree briefs, programmes and budgets with the Design Manager/Project Manager or client.
• Allocate tasks to other design disciplines and other members of the Highways team and monitor progress and costs.
• Prepare briefs, works instructions, designs, fee estimates, reports, specifications and other deliverables for highways schemes to budget and programme.
• Monitor and check designs and ensure they meet the brief.
• Ensure designs are appropriate and meet the expected levels of quality.
• Seek innovation in the delivery of schemes and techniques used in design and construction.
• Deliver schemes in accordance with CPS Quality Management Processes.
• Deliver large complex highway schemes (or several smaller schemes) to programme and budget.
• Provide advice on highway design and standards.
• Provide professional and technical competence in highway engineering.
• Support and mentor junior and less experienced staff.
• Report on a bi-weekly basis to the Design Manager on performance against budget and programme.
• Identify schemes that need to be included in the Five-Year Programme.
• Assist the Network Strategy Manager in developing new improvement schemes.
• Live the Connect Plus Services Values.
• Ensure a relentless focus on Zero Harm.
• Support the delivery of the business’ Sustainability activities
Qualifications/ skills/ experience:
• Relevant vocational qualifications (MEng/MSc/BEng/BSc/HNC and HND).
• Membership of an appropriate professional institution (ICE or CIHT).
• Alternatively registered with the Engineering Council to IEng or CEng level or with suitable experience and expecting to obtain IEng/CEng within 12 months from appointment with good relevant experience.
• 5 days of CPD in last 12 months including 3 related to highway engineering.
• Recent experience of leading small design teams and coordinating interfaces with other disciplines.
• Recent experience of working in a multi-disciplinary team.
• Project management skills.
• Competent in highway engineering.
• Appropriate recent experience in highway engineering on Local Authority or the strategic high-speed network
• Experience in the design and construction of UK highway schemes.
• Broad skills, knowledge and understanding of other highway related design areas
• Detailed knowledge of design codes (DMRB/MCDHW/TSRGD etc.) relevant to highway design.
• Knowledge of the Highways England and Connect Plus Services procedures necessary to deliver a highways project.
• Broad skills, knowledge and understanding of other highway related design areas.
• Knowledge of CDM and other H&S legislation.
• Competent in exercising the Designer’s obligations of CDM.
• Hold appropriate CSCS card registration.
• Understanding of environmental requirements of highway schemes.
• Knowledge of the use of computer design applications.
• Broad knowledge of Quality Management & IMS.
• Licensed to drive in the UK or with reciprocal agreement.