Senior Highways Engineer
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Atkins Transportation Division covers all aspects of multidisciplinary design and management from inception to options appraisal through to detailed scheme design and delivery support. Atkins is one of the UK’s leading multi-disciplinary consultancies engaged in numerous high profile projects for Clients in both the Public and Private Sector.
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. They build long-term trusted partnerships to create a world where lives are enriched through the implementation of new and exciting ideas. Atkins have a vision to shape the future of transportation, to lead where others follow and to deliver the future of mobility today. Atkins Transportation Division covers all aspects of multidisciplinary design and management from inception to options appraisal through to detailed scheme design and delivery support
We are looking for dynamic, charismatic Senior Highway Engineers with broad ranging experience and a high level of technical competence in highway design, to join our Civil Engineering Practice in Chelmsford OR Epsom.
You will be a role model for aspiring engineers and technicians, designing works with values up to £100million, ensuring that they are delivered to the highest technical standards and quality targets. Our current workload includes a number of significant projects in London and across southern England for National and Local private and public sector Clients.
You will be responsible to Senior Project Managers and will be expected to advise Clients, Senior Managers and other team members with regards to the optimum technical solutions.
Providing technical support on highway infrastructure projects from an up to date knowledge of highway engineering and the process and techniques involved in highway design and scheme development,
Supporting the Practice Manager and Project Managers on technical aspects of designs from project initiation through to completion,
Undertaking the technical lead role on projects ensuring robust technical solutions
Undertaking checking and assisting with technical reviews of projects,
Mentoring and supporting team members and taking responsibility for the technical development of staff,
Liaising with Clients, determining their drivers and delighting them with our service delivery,
Solving engineering problems,
Preparing design resource estimates,
Developing construction cost estimates,
Co-ordinating design with other specialists,
Experience in using proprietary software for highways design, drainage and others as appropriate to deliver technically robust designs.
Incorporated or Chartered Engineer, or working toward Chartership
BEng or MEng
Expertise and experience in all aspects of highway alignment design including links and all types of junctions
A thorough understanding of the technical standards relating to highways design with experience in identifying and seeking approvals for departures in standards
Knowledge and understanding of the component parts of a project with a track record of successfully delivering technically robust projects of varying values
Expertise in standard detailing for the elements of a highway engineering project including, but not limited to those in the HCD
Experience of client interface in conjunction with other senior staff
Proven ability to advise clients, managers and other team members on technical matters
Proven ability to co-ordinate design with other specialists (such as exterior lighting, geotechnical, structures, signals, environment, landscaping, transport planning etc.)
Proven ability to coach and develop team members including planning, monitoring and controlling their work.
Experience in highway drainage design including flood storage and environmental considerations
• Leading a team to successfully deliver bridge designs, assessments and inspections to a high standard, on time and to budget
• Ensuring compliance with business management systems and project processes including risk management, change control and technical governance
• Preparing or contributing to technical proposal documents and technical specifications
• Liaising with clients, including contractors on D&B and ECI schemes
• Contributing to the technical development of the Atkins bridges team by disseminating knowledge and lessons learned, both locally and globally
• Mentoring and supporting the development of graduates and technicians
• Supporting in business development and winning work.
• Preferably Chartered Civil Engineer or Chartered Structural Engineer
• Experience of bridge design, particularly in structural steel and reinforced concrete.
• A proven track record of delivering on time and to budget
• An understanding of clients’ requirements and the ability to work effectively with clients
• An effective team member who actively contributes to technical excellence
• Active in maintaining and developing technical expertise through CPD
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.