Senior Hydraulic Engineer & Surge Analyst
Senior Hydraulic Engineer & Surge Analyst
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin, is one of the world’s leading multi-disciplinary consultancy firms offering unparalleled opportunities for talented individuals in search of a rewarding career.
If you have a passion for engineering and would like to join us in our challenging growth plan in the UK and around the World, creating great career opportunities, we would be keen to hear from you.
We are seeking for a Senior Hydraulic Engineer who will be part of the Infrastructure Engineering team working on a variety of projects for UK and overseas clients. This is a fantastic opportunity for a team player to showcase their expertise on major projects and be at the forefront of developing design methodologies and will be reporting to the Chief Engineer - Hydraulics & Surge.
The team undertakes hydraulic analysis and design of water/wastewater treatment plants and transfer pipelines for a variety of UK and International Clients. The team also provide specialist hydraulic advice and input into other industry sectors.
The location of the role is flexible within the UK. Travel to and working from other Atkins offices and Client offices may occasionally be required. There may also be the opportunity of travel overseas.
Main Technical responsibilities will be:
- To undertake surge analysis and identify appropriate surge mitigation measures
- To produce robust, reliable, innovative and cost-effective hydraulic designs.
- Preparation of design reports detailing calculations/analysis undertaken and key findings
- Preparation of manhour estimates/budgets for design activities
- To ensure that activities undertaken are in accordance with H&S Legislation and Accepted Industry Practices.
- To ensure that all outputs are in accordance with the QA system, i.e. checked and verified calculations, drawings, reports and specifications.
- Main management responsibilities will be:
- Assistance with the day to day supervision of junior staff
- Assistance in the preparation of manhour estimates/budgets for design activities
- To assist the Chief Engineer in the development of the Hydraulic Team’s technical knowledge base and graduate staff.
- Provide specialist input into bid work undertaken by the company
- Possess demonstrable experience in the Water Industry and be or nearing Chartered status
- Solid working knowledge of hydraulic design and experience of the interfaces with other disciplines, e.g. Process, Civil, Mechanical and Electrical.
- Recent, demonstrable, experience in surge analysis and the use of WANDA and/or VARISIM
- Good communication and analytical skills.
- Ability to write clear, accurate and concise engineering reports and specifications.
- Able to articulate concepts and ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Able to communicate effectively in English (both orally and written)
- Experience of free surface flow and the use of HADES
- Familiarity with process design for both water and wastewater treatment.
- Experience of power station cooling water systems
- Able to undertake and report on the hydraulic assessment of existing assets.
- Knowledge of the regulatory environment, operational environment and whole life cost implications of proposed designs.
- Knowledge and experience of design and build projects
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs