Senior I&C Engineer - Port Elgin office
SNC-Lavalin is one of Canada's largest private sector nuclear engineering groups. We have been providing a wide range of services to the nuclear industry in Canada and around the world since for more than 60 years. We are proud to be the steward of Canadian CANDU nuclear technology and to apply our extensive knowledge to service the BWR/PWR market.
Our expertise includes: Nuclear Steam Plant (NSP) engineering, Balance of Plant (BOP) engineering, Plant Life Management and Extension, Retube Tooling Systems, Inspection and Maintenance Services, Steam Generator Replacement, Plant Equipment Refurbishment and Retrofits.
SNC-Lavalin has opened a local office in Port Elgin to provide more effective project execution, and integration with Bruce Power (BP). SNC-Lavalin intends to continue to expand our local team to support Bruce Power’s multi-year Life Extension program. The intent is to draw upon the deep CANDU engineering knowledge from SNC-Lavalin’s resources and Bruce Power experience to increase the capability of the Port Elgin office with dedicated and experienced resources.
SNC-Lavalin is currently looking to fill a Full Time Permanent position as Senior I&C Engineer to join our engineering team in Port Elgin office. A Senior Instrumentation and Controls (I&C) engineer is required to lead the team and work on the design and development of I&C systems on various Bruce Power projects involving new designs and/or enhancements (via Services type of work) for Bruce Power projects by following BP-PRO-00539 ECC process. The anticipated work scopes include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide engineering design and modifications for Safety and non-Safety related I&C systems for both Bruce A and Bruce B stations following BP procedures (e.g., BP-PRO-00539, etc.);
- Support BP life extension program;
- Support BP routine operation/maintenance services based on the request;
- Support BP planned or unplanned outages; and
- Provide necessary engineering field services and supports during construction and installation, procurement, commissioning, AFS, closeout, etc.
This position requires an experienced individual who is a self-starter capable of working independently with minimal supervision to perform all I&C design activities, provide engineering design or modification of I&C systems on various projects, and develop necessary engineering design documentation as required. In addition, the candidate shall be capable to lead a technical team to complete the assigned scopes or tasks within prescribed budget and schedule, and ensure that the services and deliverables are in good quality.
The individual will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Perform engineering work following SNC-Lavalin/Candu Energy QA programs, and applicable codes, standards, and regulation requirements;
- Perform conceptual and/or detailed design of CANDU instrumentation and control systems and modifications thereof, including definition of system functional and performance requirements and control algorithms, definition of control logic and wiring arrangements, control parameters, set-points, instrument ranges and environmental qualification and seismic qualification;
- Update and/or prepare I&C engineering design documents including design requirements, design description, elementary diagrams, functional specifications, installation details, control logic diagrams, Block diagrams, datasheets, calibration sheets, P&ID's, material requisitions, tender technical evaluation, evaluation of alternatives and selection of equipment, calculations (control valve, flow elements, pressure safety valves) and bill of materials; together with the supporting analysis/assessment documents and other design basis documents;
- Ensure compliance with applicable Codes, Standards and Regulations including applicable CSA, CNSC, IEC, IEEE and client relevant design standards and guides;
- Provide input to the drawing office for the preparation of various I&C related engineering drawings, such as: general arrangement drawings, instrument loop diagrams, wiring and connection diagrams, bills of materials, etc.;
- Provide or update wiring and technical design input to computerized wiring programs;
- Interface with various engineering disciplines, suppliers, and other areas of the company;
- Assist in providing responses to technical enquiries from design review teams and regulatory agencies;
- Deliver technical presentations accurately and effectively;
- Prepare requisitions or Engineering Quotation Requests (EQR) for equipment and materials to support procurement;
- Review supplier technical documents and performing technical bid analyses;
- Provide technical guidance and instruction to Designers/Drafters, and Junior/Intermediate Engineers;
- Perform field walk-downs during different design phases as required;
- Perform design review and design verification for the design and engineering work done by others;
- Support field construction and execution activities, such as: field changes, design revisions, commissioning, AFS, closeout, etc.;
- Manage assigned work effectively, including prioritizing, executing, managing schedule and budget, and reporting, to meet project goals; and
- Report to engineering or project management with timely updates on project performance and progress for the assigned scopes or tasks.
- Relevant Engineering, or computer science degree from an accredited university recognized by Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO);
- Registered as a Professional Engineer in the Province of Ontario;
- Minimum of 10 years of technical experience in the instrumentation and control within nuclear, mining, or oil & gas;
- Familiarity with instrumentation and control system functions, configurations and equipment as used for CANDU plant process systems, safety systems, or safety-related systems, or for similar systems in other industries;
- Experience in I&C design for Nuclear Power Plants (especially Bruce Power) is preferable;
- Understanding of or experience with BP risk based Engineering Change Control (ECC) modification process is preferable.
- Full qualification as a BP Assigned Designer (ADE) or Owner’s Engineering Lead (OE) is an asset;
- Must have excellent technical and practical skills to resolve engineering issues or technical problems;
- Must have excellent communication and technical writing skills;
- Demonstrate ability to interact effectively with clients at all levels of the client organization;
- Demonstrate good interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a multidisciplinary team environment;
- Site experience in the design construction, or commissioning of plant instrumentation and control systems for nuclear or fossil-fuel generating systems would be an asset;
- Familiarity with Candu QA programs and procedures along with pertinent CSA, IEEE, or related I&C engineering codes and standards would be an asset; and
- Willing to become a Nuclear Energy Worker (NEW).
Appropriate accommodations will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and hiring process as required by Company policy and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
Successful applicants will be notified about SNC-Lavalin’s accommodation policies at the time the employment offer is extended, and the information will be shared with new personnel during the onboarding process.
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions – including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance – to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. On July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. http://www.snclavalin.com
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences