Senior ICA- Instrumentation, Control and Automation Engineer
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Atkins, an SNC-Lavalin company, is a world-leader in engineering and design consultancy and construction; we have the breadth and depth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects. Applying a networked management approach, and with a focus on staff empowerment, trust and agility, our fast-paced business can match your ambitions. The Infrastructure division is currently looking for an experienced senior instrumentation, control and automation (ICA) engineer in our Leeds office.
The national MEP practice is a well-established, multidisciplinary, water engineering team. We have an extensive portfolio of UK and International projects, helping our clients address asset creation, process improvement and plant optimization needs. Our locally focused teams incorporate expert process, mechanical, electrical and ICA engineers who provide a multidisciplinary approach to solving our clients’ problems in creating, managing, building and investing in water and wastewater infrastructure.
Examples of the type of project you will be part of are:
- Operational Technology – control and automation focused projects with key strategic clients
- Water and wastewater treatment plant upgrade projects – Nationwide with a focus on the northern region, including SCADA, DCS and PLC systems, to facilitate growth and upgrade works on major treatment plants;
- Technical governance of ICA project delivery across a wide range of projects
- By drawing on the experience and knowledge of our worldwide ICA engineering technical networks you will be encouraged to enhance your continuing professional development through developing and exploiting ground-breaking technological engineering advances within the water industry. From this class-leading technical foundation, your abilities will be developed to allow you to craft innovative, sustainable solutions and help us and our clients to take advantage of the digital revolution and embed resilience in our delivered solutions. And you will help us let the world know just how good you and we are at this!
- Degree-qualified and chartered, you will have the right blend of leadership skills and technical expertise to bring our solutions and projects to life.
- You will be positive and enthusiastic, a confident communicator at all levels, and a team player. You will have spent a high proportion of your career in the water industry and in positions of significant responsibility and have a deep understanding of the investment process (strategy, need, feasibility, design, realise, manage) as it relates to water utility projects.
- You will encourage and motivate those around you to work to your own high standards. Using your own and our technical knowledge networks you will both educate and learn from those around you.
- As a senior member of the team you will be involved in development, engaging and building relationships with key clients on existing and new frameworks to promote our capabilities and secure future workload.
- You will challenge normal delivery methods and look to generate efficiencies in delivery through the use of digital tools or programmes.
- While not essential it would be beneficial having experience with digital asset management, SEMD and cyber security
- You will be happy to stretch yourself and work outside of your comfort zone.
Why work with us?
- As ICA engineers we have a deep understanding of the current technologies implemented at treatment plants. We know that treating water and waste water to the right quality at the lowest whole life cost and carbon is fundamental. This is enabled with smart, efficient and experienced ICA engineering. Smart ICA engineering starts by understanding the fundamentals and current technology trends in the water/process engineering sector. By applying our knowledge, experience and tools we deliver innovative and cost-effective control solutions to our clients – these include motor control centres, process instrumentation, process automation and state of the art control systems.
- We provide industry-leading ICA engineering services right through the project lifecycle, with value added in particular during the feasibility, outline and detailed design stages. Additionally we provide several specialist service offerings such as systems modelling, DSEAR/ATEX and functional safety all of which differentiate our service offering and capability.
- We employ a range of proprietary and in-house developed digital tools. We create and use intelligent P+IDs, 3D designs, plant visualization and virtual reality techniques to immerse the designer and the operator in the solutions we create. Additionally we have our own suite of intelligent design automation tools all developed in-house by our engineers.
- Our people demonstrate thought leadership and align us with our clients’ values and desired outcomes at project and programme level. We champion sustainable, best value solutions and deliver them more effectively by being, individually and collectively, faster, smarter and more reliable.
Rewards, benefits and career development
We offer a comprehensive and competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with the role and your skills and experience. Please refer to our website for further details. Our teams work core hours although specific working hours can in the right circumstances be adjusted to suit the needs of the individual. Working locations, whilst needing to match the requirements of our work and our clients, can also be flexible if the need arises. If flexible working is essential or a preference for you, please let us know so we can discuss what possibilities may exist.
Detailed role requirements
- Educated to degree level with an ICA engineering bias; chartered Member of a recognized engineering institution
- Major project experience within the water and/or wastewater engineering sector
- Proven experience in the design and specification of plant control systems, SCADA and industrial networking solutions.
- Ability to provide a customer-focused service with a clear understanding of the water sector regulatory framework and strategic business planning
- Understanding of water and wastewater treatment technologies; an interest in developing and/or exploiting new and emerging technologies and techniques
- Ability to complete assignments on time, within budget and to a high technical standard
- A well-developed understanding of the design process
- Proven ability to manage and mentor teams and/or individuals and/or projects, potentially split across disciplines, locations and stakeholders
- A developing external profile and reputation with a desire to raise your own profile and that of the Company
- Willingness to contribute to and develop our technical knowledge networks
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Energetic and motivated, with a positive outlook and approachable manner
- Capable of building and maintaining strong relationships with colleagues and clients
- Ability to influence at a senior level, inside and outside of the Company
- Ability to be flexible and to multi-task and priorities when necessary
- Flexible and able to work within the rest of the UK and overseas, as work demands and if necessary
- Leadership qualities - inspirational, motivational, a role model
Our technical networks offer fantastic opportunities for you to grow your experience, expertise and reputation amongst your peers and beyond. Our broad range of projects, and wide pool of expert people will help you and your career grow to suit your aspirations and desires. We will help you to develop professionally and personally through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. Your development plan will be regularly reviewed through an on-going career development process. We actively support staff who seek to achieve membership of relevant professional institutions.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.