Senior Laboratory Technician
Senior Laboratory Technician
Sr Lab Technician
Why join us?
We are hiring! The Sr Lab Technician is an integral part of our Nuclear team. This position is based out of our office in Aiken, SC.
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years.
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
How will you contribute to the team?
- Is responsible for laboratory-based tasks, which include sampling, chemical analysis, and data recording. Provides the technical support required for a laboratory to function safely and effectively while adhering to applicable procedures and health and safety guidelines. Supports radiological, inorganic, organic, and wet chemistry analyses of samples collected in support of the Salt Waste Processing Facility (SWPF).
- Performs a variety of laboratory-based tasks to support SWPF’s production and environmental requirements.
- Performs analytical procedures in accordance with SWPF’s work control and regulatory requirements.
- Accepts samples for routine, non-routine and SWPF’s operations process sampling.
- Logs samples into the laboratory and logs sample data into a computer system.
- Prepares samples for on- and off-site analysis and assists other personnel with sample preparations.
- Prepares appropriate sample containers and documentation.
- Tracks sample/container movement.
- Is responsible for the correct disposal of all samples and laboratory waste.
- Prepares samples for various types of analyses.
- Maintains inventories of radiological materials.
- Supports sample collection activities as required to meet project schedules.
- Operates, maintains and calibrates laboratory instrumentation which includes various radiochemistry, inorganic, organic and wet chemistry instrumentation.
- Performs daily instrumentation preoperational checks.
- Performs preventive maintenance checks and monthly inspections and calibrations.
- Performs safety inspections.
- Ensures the laboratory has adequate supplies.
- Files and archives laboratory records, including samples collected, for future reference.
- Works under the supervision and guidance from more experienced Laboratory Technicians, Chemists and/or supervisor.
- There is no supervision of other workers at this level.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Attention to detail and adherence to strict good laboratory practices and procedures
- General knowledge of basic chemistry
- Ability to handle data entry tasks for sample analysis and reporting
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment including a respirator
- Normal vision (with or without correction).
- Ability to climb and descend multiple flights of stairs
- Ability to work various shifts to support 24/7 operation
- Ability to stand for extended periods Strong listening skills
- Ability to pass WorkKeys® examinations for Applied Mathematics, Locating Information, and Reading for Information
- Ability to comprehend and follow procedure and work package instructions as applicable
- Ability to complete the Salt Waste Processing Facility Laboratory Technician training program
- Intermediate familiarity with the use of Microsoft Office products
- Detailed knowledge of laboratory equipment, processes, quality control and sample management
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to use more complex analytical equipment
What will you contribute?
- High School Diploma or equivalent experience
- US citizenship is required to be employed by Atkins Nuclear Secured.
- Fundamental mathematics education (arithmetic, algebra, geometry and statistics). Some high school chemistry preferred.
- An associate’s degree in chemistry preferred
- Two to five years of experience as a lab technician preferred
- Experience in using several analytical instruments from the following: pH meter, Titrator, Total Organic Carbon, Mercury Analyzer, Inductively Coupled Plasma (ICP-ES and/or MS), Gas Chromatography (GC-FID and/or GC-MS), High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC and/or HPLC MS), Ion Chromatography and Cold Vapor Mercury Analyzer preferred
- Experience using gamma spectroscopy, low background alpha/beta and liquid scintillation instrumentation preferred
What we offer at Atkins:
At Atkins, you will enjoy a robust rewards package which includes:
- Opportunity to work on various projects of various sizes
- Competitive salary
- Flexible work schedules
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Group Insurance
- Retirement Savings Plan with employer match
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Learning and development programs, training, career opportunities and a highly regarded tuition reimbursement program
If this sounds like you and you would like to expand your career with us, apply today!
Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace.
Please review Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy and are committed to protecting your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice on our Careers site to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Note to staffing and direct hire agencies:
In the event a recruiter or agency who is not on our preferred supplier list submits a resume/candidate to anyone in the company, SNC-Lavalin family of companies, we explicitly reserve the right to recruit and hire the candidate(s) at our discretion and without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency.
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs