Senior Lighting Designer - Fixed Term Contract (12 Months)
Senior Lighting Designer - Fixed Term Contract (12 Months)
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Atkins’ UK Transportation business brings together the capabilities of our Rail, Highway and Local Transport teams, into a single business of 3,000 talented engineering professionals transport planners and consultants. The unique breadth of services in Transportation, combined with our scale, makes Atkins the leading UK transportation infrastructure consultancy. We create a culture and environment to inspire our people, ensure collaboration with our clients and continue to shape the future of mobility.
With a goal to be a truly inclusive employer, we’re pursuing improvements for all underrepresented groups and promoting a more inclusive culture for everyone in the SNC-Lavalin Atkins family. We’ve also signed the Time to Change, pledging to smash the stigma around mental health by talking about it and guiding behaviour across all levels of our business.
We’re already an industry leader when it comes to supporting employees with out-of-work commitments, like parents, athletes and reservists.
- Great flexible working choices
- Option to buy up to 15 days extra holiday a year
- Two volunteer days a year to undertake charity/STEM activities
- We are looking to recruit a Senior Lighting Designer into our Lighting practice to work on multi-disciplinary engineering projects. The work will include undertaking the design of indoor and outdoor lighting solutions across a variety of sectors including all types of buildings, aviation and other transportation sectors such a rail. The design role will include all stages from developing the initial concept through to detailed design and will cover all aspects of lighting, including complex control systems and daylighting.
- The successful candidate will have a wide range of knowledge and experience in developing lighting solutions on complex multi-disciplinary projects. In addition to office-based design there will be a requirement to undertake site surveys and liaise with other disciplines, clients and stakeholders.
- The successful candidate will have a detailed knowledge of lighting and how different engineering and non-engineering disciplines work together to create the whole system in some of the most high-profile projects currently being undertaken.
- Extensive experience in developing lighting solutions for a wide variety of indoor and outdoor applications, including daylighting, control systems and emergency lighting
- Awareness and experience of project workflows in a consultancy environment including the RIBA and BSRIA plans of work.
- Comprehensive knowledge of relevant legislation including SLL and BS lighting standards
- Thorough knowledge of lighting technology and main lighting market companies
- Confident in communicating concepts and designs both verbally and visually to colleagues and clients.
- Competent in basic office, engineering and presentation software including Relux/Dialux, Revit/AutoCAD and MS Office
- Experience with daylighting design (CBDM in particular)
- Experience with lighting control design and systems such as Dali, DMX etc.
- Experience of specialist lighting packages such as AGI32, 3DS Max, Rhino/DIVA and Radiance
- Experience of desktop publishing packages such as Adobe Indesign and Photoshop
- Commissioning installations and aiming luminaires on site
- Known for writing articles in professional journals or presenting at industry events
- Reporting to the Lighting Practice Manager, your key roles and responsibilities will be to:
- Developing and creating innovative lighting solutions from concept though to installation including all contract documents and drawings
- Provide technical and creative leadership to team members
- Produce visualisations, sketches and calculations
- Create presentations and reports for submission to clients
- Communicate concepts and designs to non-lighting professionals
- Scoping and costing of lighting projects
- You will currently be registered with either the SLL or ILP to the level of Member as a minimum.
- You will need to have technical competency in order to maintain Atkins’ reputation for technical excellence and be recognised as an expert in lighting. You should enjoy working as part of a varied team and be able to self-manage your responsibilities. You’ll need to be motivated with a drive for continuing improvement and professional development.
- Additional personal qualities include:
- The drive and self-motivation to achieve professional registration with a professional body and to continuously develop your technical & behavioural skills
- Ability to apply technical knowledge in analysing problems and creating solutions
- Able to work and communicate effectively within multidisciplinary teams
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work on your own initiative
- Flexible approach to work
- Strong attention to detail and ability to make correct judgements
- Demonstrate knowledge and experience of the use of appropriate standards
- Experience in appropriate industry software, such as CAD and calculation packages
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
#LI-UK #LI-ATKINS #LI-Transportation
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs