Senior Master Federal Planner
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Planning Group as a Senior Federal Master Planner. This position can sit in our Alexandra, VA; Denver, CO; Orlando, FL; Atlanta, GA; Henderson, NV or Austin, TX office.
Under supervision of senior staff, applies technical professional proficiency to the solution of planning problems, develop master plans and facility/infrastructure strategies, coordination of project requirements with planning staff and supporting disciplines (GIS, Civil Engineers, Architects and Cost Estimators). Work entails planning activities primarily affiliated with the US Federal and Department of Defense (DoD) clients regarding land utilization, facilities and
infrastructure development, transportation, and/or environmental projects. Serves in a project manager role and augments leadership posture within the Master Planning group.
Carries out complex or novel assignments requiring diversified knowledge of planning principles and practices in broad areas of assignments. Manages planning tasks and projects including oversight of other staff's work. Work requires the use of advanced techniques and the modification and extension of theories, precepts and practices. Additional duties:
- Coordinates technical work requirements of planning projects.
- Analyzes facility/infrastructure requirements, land utilization, policy ®ulatory compliance,
- traffic and environmental impacts, and funding implementation of projects.
- Provides written and graphic input for planning products, technical memo, feasibility studies,
- proposals and project status reports.
- Provides guidance to more junior planners in the design and preparation of plans and technical
- reports, and in the preparation of graphics, proposals, contracts, scopes of work and feasibility
- Conducts analyses to determine impact of proposed project.
- Designs and formulates plans in graphic or written format.
- Writes project proposal components.
- Assists in the management of projects and acts as project manager on specific project tasks.
- Performs such other duties as the supervisor may assign from time to time deem necessary.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Planning or related field. Master's or graduate level technical coursework preferred.
- This level may be achieved by Planners with seven years experience since Bachelor's or six years since Master's. Typical incumbent has 8-10 years' experience.
Experience in master planning, facility and infrastructure development planning, and asset management processes utilized by Federal and DoD agencies is preferred. This includes project related experience delivering master planning products,performing facility/infrastructure assessments and requirements analysis, and developing capital investment planning and programming requirements. Skills and knowledge with relevant process applications and tools utilized with Federal and DoD master planning and asset management is desirable, such as Sustainment Management Systems products (BUILDER) and DoDDD1391 processor application.Good technical writing, computer and communications skills. May be eligible for project management training.
- Ability to write and communicate verbally.
- Ability to communicate graphically.
- Ability to proficiently utilize key software applications listed under competencies
- Able to work cooperatively in small teams on assigned projects.
- Able to provide instruction to junior staff.
- Able to delegate responsibilities, coordinate tasks, and oversee project team members on
- Able to interact with clients and general public during workshops and meetings.
- Willing to initiate necessary tasks and seeing them through to completion.
- Willingness and knowledge of when to seek help when needed.
- Obtain professional registrations if not certified and maintain registration.
- AICP certification preferred.
- Landscape Architecture certification allowed.
- Microsoft applications: outlook, word, excel, powerpoint, project
- Adobe applications: InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat
- Other graphic applications: Sketchup
- CAD: AutoCAD or Microstation
- ESRI GIS
- Hand drawing
- Technical writing
- Verbal communication
- Public speaking
- Ability to process paper/electronic documents and utilize computer equipment; ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing; ability to visit project sites if necessary (both within the US and internationally). Job also requires ability to assemble and analyze data. Must submit to background checks to obtain certain permissions required for project access.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Atkins will not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, headhunters, contract recruiters, search firms or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate, Atkins explicitly reserves the right to recruit and hire those candidate(s) at its discretion, and without any financial obligation whatsoever to the recruiter or agency. Any such unsolicited resume or candidate contact information, including those submitted directly to Atkins hiring managers or any other employee, shall become the property of Atkins upon receipt.
Our Latest Articles