Senior Mechanical Engineer (FEA), Nuclear
Job Title: Senior Mechanical Engineer (FEA), Nuclear
Our growing team is looking for a Senior Engineer, with a strong background in Finite Element Analysis, who thrives on challenging problems and leading and developing teams of engineers.
We need an experienced mechanical engineer who can lead and deliver multiple projects simultaneously. You’ll enjoy working closely with clients on a range of demanding issues whilst mentoring and training more junior colleagues to protect the high standards that we’re proud of.
Does this sound like you? In which case, we’d love you to apply for this role.
Our team is on the cutting edge of complex and novel multi-disciplinary design and analysis projects. We have core capabilities in;
- Mechanical Analysis - Specialising in complex FEA, fracture mechanics, structural integrity and code based lifing assessments
- Mechanical design Materials and Corrosion - Materials selection, corrosion protection specification, and corrosion mitigation strategies
- Automation, tools and novel method development
The group sits within the Nuclear Assets business in Atkins SNC-Lavalin, but supports a wide range of clients across the energy market including;
Current Nuclear Assets; Nuclear New Build; Nuclear Decommissioning; Offshore Wind; Oil and Gas
The constant in this role is the challenging nature of the jobs and the chance to provide innovative solutions to a range of problems for several appreciative clients.
The successful applicant is a self-contained engineer capable of leading and developing blended teams of engineers. They should be keen to tackle new problems, seeking to find the optimum solution for our clients most challenging issues. They will be able to draw on their own experience and that of the local team and wider community within Atkins SNC-Lavalin.
For this role, the candidate will have a strong background in FEA and be looking to continue to develop their expertise in this field, developing new novel methods, contributing to the FEA community and pushing the limits of the state of the art.
We are looking for individuals with the following experience:
- 5 Years’ experience in an engineering role providing Finite Element Analysis.
- ABAQUS experience across a range of areas. Static Stress, Dynamics and/or Thermal with a solid grounding in the theoretical background.
- ABAQUS/CAE or Hypermesh capability with a proven track record of constructing models of complex structures and understanding the answers.
- Experience technically leading projects
Useful experience but not required for the right candidate:
- Experience with Nuclear power generation/decommissioning industries.
- Experience with dealing with technically demanding clients
- Experience with fracture mechanics assessment such as BS7910 or similar
- Experience with Fatigue analysis codes such as DNV RPC 203 or BS7608.
- Experience with other finite element packages such as ANSYS, Sesam, SACS or Nastran
- Experience with Python programming, especially in the context of ABAQUS post processing.
This is an exciting time for us, we are diversifying our portfolio to become a more global organisation, while also continuing to grow our services in the Nuclear Assets sector in the UK. As part of a global SNC Lavalin group, there will be opportunities to develop your skills and experience in the UK working across all our clients and also for international travel.
Flexible working options may be considered for this vacancy.
We develop individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house as well as external training for all our staff.
Reward & Benefits:
Please refer to our website for full details of our benefits package, which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days paid annual leave.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.