Senior Mechanical Engineer
Senior Mechanical Engineer
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
About usAtkins are a member of the SNC-Lavalin group and are the largest engineering consultancy within the UK Defence market. Our mission is to ensure success for our clients, whatever the challenge. Our experts cover land, sea and air as well as information and communications. Atkins work across the lifecycle of platforms, systems and facilities and achieve success by working in close partnership with our clients, by matching our skills to their needs, being flexible, and by using our resources efficiently. Whether delivering high quality engineering, technical services or programme management, we always deliver the solution that is right for our clients.
The High Integrity team within our Atkins' Defence business is currently expanding to meet strong demand from our main clients and are seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineer with Nuclear experience to join the team.
The team’s work supports a number of key Defence programmes including high integrity design of mechanical systems and structures for the Defence sector, including the UK continuous-at-sea-deterrent programme.
• To create optimal design solutions to address specific requirements
• Produce substantiation calculations to demonstrate designs meet requirements
• Author and update technical documentation
• Manage delivery against Time, Cost and Quality requirements
• Support our Quality Assurance processes by reviewing (or checking) colleagues’ work
• Present your work to clients at formal reviews
• Work within project teams, these may include placements at client sites
• Take responsibility for the quality and delivery of your work to maintain and extend Atkins’ reputation
Essential Experience and Criteria
• Degree-qualified or equivalent in Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline
• Chartered Engineer or working towards Chartership (e.g. IMechE)
• A sound understanding of mechanical engineering principles and their application to varied projects and domains
• Experience of nuclear applications and awareness of inherent safety cases and their make-up
• Experience in the production of design documentation, including optioneering reports, specifications and requirements capture documents in line with Systems Engineering approaches in nuclear environments
• Experience in producing design calculations (preferably using MathCad)
• Competent in producing technical calculations consistent with BS, ISO , DEF-STAN, MIL-STD and other international standards
• Familiar with working to design codes and industry standards appropriate for a safety critical environment
• Demonstrate creativity and experience across the design lifecycle including undertaking requirements capture, concept generation, development and down selection processes in line with SAP and ALARP requirements
• Deal effectively with ambiguity, manage multiple problems and multiple stakeholders whilst working to tight timescales
• Be adaptable, supportive and a good listener
Experience in one or more of the following technical disciplines is desirable:
• High Integrity mechanical handling equipment and operation in a safety critical environment (e.g. crane design and maintenance; BS 2573, EN13001)
• Nuclear Safety Environment (e.g. SIL, SIF, PFDs, STL, ALARP, LOPA, HSE, Risk Management)
• Systems/Requirements Engineering (e.g. User, System, Sub-System, Functional, Non-Functional Requirements etc.)
• Testing/commissioning of assets and equipment into service
• Asset Management
• Digital Engineering (e.g. Python, C#, Data Analysis, BIM, PLM, VR, MATLAB Simulink)
• Bid Writing, Project Management, Client Engagement, Specialist Domain Knowledge
The role and team are located in Bristol; however, opportunities also exist at various client sites around the country and may require frequent travel dependent on project and client locations in the UK.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not refer to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs