Senior Mechanical Engineer
Atkins, an SNC-Lavalin company, is a world-leader in engineering and design consultancy and construction; we have the breadth and depth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects. Applying a networked management approach, and with a focus on staff empowerment, trust and agility, our fast-paced business can match your ambitions. The Infrastructure Division is currently looking for a Senior/Principal Mechanical Engineer with a background in utilities infrastructure (gas) design to join our team in Epsom or London. We plan to utilise your specialist skills to provide innovative multidisciplinary engineering solutions for our clients.
The utilities team is well-established, within a wider multidisciplinary engineering team. We have an extensive portfolio of UK and International projects, helping our clients to enable developments, improve resilience and comply with changing legal requirements. Our locally focused teams incorporate experts from civil, process, mechanical and electrical engineering who provide a multidisciplinary approach to solving our clients’ problems in creating, managing, building and investing in public and private infrastructure.
By drawing on the experience and knowledge of our worldwide technical network you will be encouraged to enhance your continuing professional development through developing and exploiting recent developments in utilities infrastructure design, in particular in gas networks. A broader understanding of other utilities such as water, wastewater and fibre optics and electrical networks will be advantageous. You will be encouraged to craft innovative, sustainable solutions and help us and our clients to take advantage of the digital revolution and embed resilience in our delivered solutions. And you will help us let the world know just how good you and we are at this!
Why work with us?
We understand the importance of coordination and forward planning in utilities infrastructure design. Our clients’ core business may be municipal water and wastewater services, or heavily relying on performance of critical infrastructure in a customer facing environment such as in the aviation or nuclear sectors. We deliver innovative, cost-effective and sustainable infrastructure solutions to our clients. Smart mechanical engineering starts by understanding the fundamentals of mechanical asset design, selection and management and then applying knowledge, experience and tools to identify the best value solution for the job. We provide industry-leading mechanical engineering services right through the project lifecycle, with value added in particular during the feasibility, outline and detailed design stages. We employ a range of proprietary and in-house developed digital tools to facilitate our work.
Work will include design, coordination and management of gas diversions at all pressure tiers on development projects ranging in size up to the very largest. Design of new network extensions and connections. Design of installation pipework comprising external pipework and pipework within buildings.
Our people demonstrate thought leadership and align us with our clients’ values and desired outcomes at project and programme level. We champion sustainable, best value solutions and deliver them more effectively by being, individually and collectively, faster, smarter and more reliable.
- Educated to degree level with a mechanical engineering bias; Incorporated or Chartered Member of a recognised engineering institution. Candidates with HNC with relevant experience in gas network design and operation will also be considered.
- Extensive experience in designing gas networks and liaising with gas transporters
- Understanding of safety and operational constraints in the management of gas networks
- An interest in developing and/or exploiting new and emerging technologies and techniques
- Ability to complete assignments on time, within budget and to a high technical standard
- A well developed understanding of the design process
- Proven ability to manage and mentor teams and individuals and/or projects, potentially split across disciplines, locations and stakeholders
- A well developed external profile and reputation; a desire and willingness to raise the profile of oneself and the Company
- Willingness to contribute to and develop our technical knowledge networks
- Computer literate and able to work effectively with the basic Microsoft suite of programmes as a minimum
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Well motivated, with a positive outlook and approachable manner
- Capable of building and maintaining strong relationships with colleagues and clients
- Ability to influence at a senior level, inside and outside of the Company
- Ability to be flexible and to multi-task and prioritise when necessary
- Flexible and able to work within the rest of the UK and overseas, as work demands and if necessary
- Leadership qualities - inspirational, motivational, a role model
- Equipment and infrastructure surveys and assessments, using cutting-edge technologies and techniques as appropriate
- Feasibility, outline and detailed mechanical design, producing drawings and specifications, schedules, risk assessments, cost and programme estimations
- Equipment specifications; supplier equipment assessment and evaluation
- Technical report writing at all stages of the project lifecycle
- Liaison with clients within the UK and worldwide.
- Support and/or lead bids, fee proposals or offers of service; development of activity schedules/work plans
- Understanding of hazardous area assessment and DSEAR
- Familiar with CDM
- Knowledge of relevant standards especially IGEM, BS and other British and European Standards and regulatory requirements
- Development of standard and bespoke gas design solutions
- Meet and exceed quality, programme, budgetary and H&S requirements on projects
- Preparing technical papers and presentations for clients and potentially colleagues and conferences
- Support and/or deliver technical and ‘expert witness’ investigations and appraisals
- Ownership of specific skill areas or activities within our technical knowledge networks; contributing to technical network activities, to broaden your and our skills, experience and technical reputation
- Supporting and mentoring less experienced colleagues
- Working with and developing design tools such as network pressure drop calculations, automated design tools, standardised or packaged plant designs
Atkins offers a fantastic range of benefits, which you can tailor to suit your own health, wellbeing, financial and lifestyle choices.
All the information you need to know is available on our dedicated benefits portal; your reward, which is available to access 24/7 from any device: https://www.yourrewardatkins.com
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation), or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.